Dumaguete Info Search

10 Most Popular Online Scams in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Rye83, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Some things everyone should look out for online.

BTW: I bet the seller wishes he could have seen the face of the Nigerian that picked up his free laptop. :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    They forgot the "emergency in transit" scam. Boy tells filipina he is coming to see her, sends her copy of e-ticket to prove he is on the way, then "misses his connection" in some strange country like Nigeria and messages girl's Facebook to get her to send money for another ticket and he will pay her back when he gets there. Somehow his ATM card does not work in that foreign country and he has no credit card. I am amazed at the filipinas I have known who fall for that and I am amazed that some of them actually manage to round up some cash and send it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Personal items are not the same as the rip offs you were speaking of but even in other regards I have never seen any other people as gullible as the average Filipina. Most don't seem to question, they just take everything at face value. All of the facebook, internet and personal scams or sales pitches are not questioned much if at all. How many magic skin whiteners has your gf or wife bought? How about the cream to make their belly smaller? What can make them look younger? Here is a list from FB. Lemon juice, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, papaya, avocado, honey, Ponds, salt, Dove, toothpaste as a face cleaner, plus 98 bottles of stuff that the girls in Watsons, Robinsons, etc., sell as the new miracle cream to whiten and reduce wrinkles.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's not unique to just Filipina. Women in general are extremely gullible to those kinds of products. You see the same products in the West.

Show them the ingredients. Let them know they are just rubbing coconuts/mango/avocado/fruit in/on their face/hair/stomach/armpits and then ask them if they thinking rubbing food all over them is going to do what is promised on the bottle.

For a good laugh go find a coconut and rub it all over yourself while they are applying their lotions and let them know your method is just as effective as theirs.....and much cheaper. Proceed to repeat this behavior with any fruit/vegetable you get your hands on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lorraine

Lorraine DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +69 / 21
    Blood Type:
    B-
    Much the same as men are susceptible to stupidly fast and expensive vehicles and accessories, audio systems, power tools etc. There are now also very popular cosmetic products for men, 10 Best Men's Skincare Products 2016: Tried & Tested | British Vogue
    Pot kettle black

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But those things serve a purpose and/or work as advertised. :wink:

Of course there are gullible, naïve and vain men. Comparing the sales numbers for beauty products between men and women should say all that needs to be said.

One of the comments on that page sums up my thoughts on the subject perfectly:
    "Lay off the makeup, real men like you the way you are...without the warpaint."

You aren't spending all that money because on makeup and creams for men....you are doing it for your own vanity or to impress other women. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Only two things I can say. I will never argue with a woman as I know I will not win. As far as beauty products, I don't use them, but I thank God that gray hair and wrinkles don't hurt.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    As a general rule I TRY (!) to educate my wife that whatever they say on the tin, don't believe it.

Eat healthily, drink enough good fluids, exercise reasonably, avoid excessive direct sunlight, don't put anything in your mouth which can harm you (so, ladies, carry on!), rest and drink lots when slightly unwell and see a doctor when more unwell (or if illness continues too long) ... then there is no need to buy ANY of the millions of 'so-called' health products being scammed off on people.