Dumaguete Info Search

13a visa process

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Kenny, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I just got back from applying for my 13a visa in Cebu and thought I would share my experience. The first thing I have to say is that Immigration is a lot more pleasant to deal with than years ago.
    I brought all the things that were listed on the B of I web site and thought I was good to go. I had 2 copies of my application and wife’s petition letter duly notorized. Wrong you need 3 copies. I had 1 copy of my passport pages. Wrong, you need 2. You need a photo copy of your marriage license and wife’s birth certificate along with the official copies. I only had the originals. I had applied to extend my tourist visa but as I am here more than 14 months the app. Had to go to Manila and wasn’t back in time so my chop in the passport was out of date.

I went to the immigrant visa window and the lady there pointed out all the shortcomings and advised me to go see Attorney Abellan on the second floor. I assumed this was the gotcha moment and climbed the stairs dreading what this was going to do to my wallet. In the attorney’s office I met several other people from Dumaguete who were having a problem of one sort or another. The attorneys desk was total chaos and my pile of paperwork was added to the pile. After a few minutes he dug into it and sent his assistant off to get the missing photocopies. Just a few pesos copy fee. In short order he had a package put together for me with everything except the out of date tourist visa taken care of. A little hassle with the visa extension lady (she was actually quite pleasant) I was sent to the third floor to be interviewed by the chief investigator. When I explained the situation he chopped the passport and I went back to the first floor to pay the normal visa extension fee. Back to the attorney‘s office on the second floor and everything came to a halt for lunch.

We returned at 1:30 and started to be shuffled from window to window on the first floor. The attorney facilitated the process and I soon had my application accepted.

We arrived at 10am and were through by 3:pm. As best I can tell I was charged an extra 1000 pesos but couldn’t swear to it and it was well worth it

I am told that if you have everything perfect you can just submit your paperwork with the lady on the first floor get your clearance and pay your fees. In and out in a couple hours. If your like me, all messed up, don’t sweat it. The place is air conditioned, Bring a book and just go with the flow.

I have to go back to get my ACR when the application is approved. I’ll let you know how that goes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Wow! That info is great! Thanks for sharing! Good to know!

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Do they still not allow short pants inside Kenny?
    I had to go all the way back to the hotel and change my pants once.

4. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    There were several guys in there in shorts and no one hassled them.

5. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Congratulations to you!

Thank you for sharing your information with the rest of us. The what to bring with you is a humourous situation. I believe that it is an impossibility to get it right - ever. The clear message to all potential applicants is to read and reread and then read again pretty well everything on the B of I website.

While Attorney Abellan was also assigned to our case, we never did meet him. I shared your apprehensions. This mostly focussed on my misconception that I would be shaken down for some sort of bribe or financial inducement. I am delighted to report that such was not the case and never suggested by anyone connected with the B of I.

Now your waiting game begins in earnest. Count on three months for your application to be approved. At that point, you should pester them. You will NOT be contacted. Then you do your ACR application. Count on another two months and associated pestering before you receive this. Again, you will not be contacted.

This completes the process for your temporary 13A visa. You can then wait out your year and start all over again for your permanent 13A visa. That is good for life. The ACR is renewed every five years.

What do you mean by your reference to "chopping" the passport. This is a form of non-standard English with which I am NOT familiar.

6. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks Dave for outlining what the future holds. Chop is just a slang term for an official stamp. I think it has roots in China but became commonly used around Asia.
    I hope I am as successful as you were. I am sure you are right about the requirements and that no matter how diligent you are they will find a fault. Fortunately it doesn't seem to cost much more than time.

7. claire29

claire29 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hello sir kenny my husband as well want to have a 13 A visa but in your post you did not mention about medical certificate from the quaratine office. I wonder if it is still needed to complete the application. And can you tell me how did your wife made the petition ? thanks in advance

8. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'll let Kenny answer the question on quarantine. As for the spousal Letter of Application, there is a pro forma on the B of I website but anything appropriate may be submitted.

9. OP
    OP
    Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Hi Claire,
    The medical is no longer required. As far as the wife's petition letter goes I copied the letter on the web site into word and filled in our names and changed the date. You can be more creative but they seemed happy to get their own stuff back.
    Good luck, it's a bit of a hassle but not too bad and certainly not worth stressing over.
    Kenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.