Dumaguete Info Search

2GO ferry from Dumaguete to CDO

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by highway_61, May 28, 2013.

1. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    is it going or what?

on another forum somebody is saying that the boat, which was supposed to have started running again in March after a hiatus of a few years, has now ceased and that the only service 2GO offers to anywhere from Dumaguete is Cebu. How accurate is this?

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    somewhat accurate

I check to see if 2GO was going to CdO on Monday, and was told it was no longer going. I think the board on the wall of the 2GO office across from the pier only had travel to Manila, but I may be incorrect as I was only looking for Cdo.

I think the fee was about 1,400 P for a 13 hour boat ride (at night) on 2GO Boat to CdO which only went once a week. That was about 6 months ago. A one hour plane fare was about 1,800 P, which seems to me to be very little difference when you save about 12 hours of travel time, even if you are asleep.

I would be interested in the what other means of travel there is to CdO from Dumaguete.

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The boat to/from CDO from Duma has unfortunately been cancelled AGAIN. When it was going, it was Duma/CDO on Sunday, and CDO/Duma on Saturday. There was a differentiation to this when 2GO first took the route/boat over from Cebu Ferries. It is a 6-7 hour boat ride, we have made the trip numerous times.

One of the best alternatives is take the Oceanjet to Tagbilaran, then the Transasia night boat to CDO, and visa versa.
    We have done this numerous times also. Other than that, Cebu here you come!

You can take a variety of boats from Duma to Dapitan, and the bus to CDO, but the bus ride is a killer now (8-10 hours?) with the roads torn up between Ozamis and CDO.

Maybe flying isn't so bad after all?

:wink:

Larry

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Not accurate at all, as far as I can determine, 2GO has ceased all service to Dumaguete again.

Larry

5. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I made this trip by car in july 2013, and most of the road has been fixed now. There are still a few sections between the inter island ferry and Illigan with slightly damaged concrete surface. But its not a big deal and does not delay trafic, it just reduce driving comfort somewhat.

If you don´t mind a 280 km bus ride though some regions, which are still slightly affected by the whole Mindanao "issue", this is the cheapest way to get from Dumaguete to Cagayan de Oro. And apart from flying via Cebu (or Manila), it is also the fastest.

It will make most sence to take the boat operated by Montenegro Shipping Lines, which leave Dumaguete at 6 am every morning. You will then arrive in Palauan Port around 10 am in the morning and in Cagayan de Oro somewhere around dinner time.

For the return trip it will make most sence to leave Cagayan de Oro very early in the morning and take the boat operated by Montenegro Line leaving Palauan Port every afternoon at 2 pm. Cokaliong also has a boat leavning Palauan Port at 4 pm 3 days a week.

For those giving higher priority to comfort, safety and time than costs, flying with Cebu Pacific via Cebu is the obvious solution. With the new afternoon flight between Dumaguete and Cebu in addition to the daily morning flight, its possible to make this trip in 1 day in both directions.

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Thanks for the update on the road Ozamis/CDO. My back will not permit me to take 8 hour bus rides any more, due to our last trip Iligan/CDO a year or so ago. Anything over two hours on a bus now and my back is killing me. Our favorite way to get to/from CDO now is to take the fast craft to Tagbilaran, then the Trans Asia night boat to CDO (and visa versa). Cheaper than flying and a dam sight more comfortable for me than the bus.

Larry

7. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I agree, that the boat via Bohol is a good solution. Flying Cebu Pacific Dumaugete-Cagayan is about 4.000 peso one way, unless promotion rates are available, and that does not even include check-in luggage. Moreover people staying at hotels or resorts will save money by sleeping one night on a ferry.

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    This new afternoon flight seems to happen on a Thursday and Saturday only. Depart DGT 1440 - arrive CEB 1515.