Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist Visa 36 months on a tourist visa?

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by jim787, Jan 19, 2014.

1. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    I read about the change of rules on tourist visas--the BI now allows extensions up to 36 months (24 months for those who need a visa upon arrival). Has anyone, here on a tourist visa, yet received an extension beyond 16 months? I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    yup... happened to me 8^ )

i did my 14th month extension on 20 dec and was told to return in early january to apply for my 16th month extension, the one they send to manila.

i returned on 3 january and i was given the 4 page annual report so they could send it to manila with my extension application.

ok... so i get fotos for the annual report and a letter for the 16th extension and do the 4 page annual report and return on 13 january and they processed my extension application in the duma office and they said they didn't need the letter cuz i was granted an extension to the 36th month. WOW!!! so i gave them the completed annual report and they said they didn't need it. (i exhaled...)

i asked if i still needed to come in every two months and they said ''yes.''

needless to say (but i will anyway), we had spent many hours getting fotos, letters written and notarized and looking at places to go for the ''leaving the country'' part, and trying to figure out how get an exit clearance and do the country exit in one fell swoop, and hotels and airline tickets, and getting someone to watch the place, etc. and they gave me an extension to the 36th month! talk about a load off of my shoulders...

jfi;
    my passport lives at the bi office for a week every time i extend, it's either that or sleep over while my extension application is being processed.
    my AC-I card expired 7 months ago and my new one isn't ready yet..

i think i'm beginning to understand the ''it's more fun in the fils'' expression.
    norm : ))~

3. DumagueteJohn

DumagueteJohn DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's nice to hear some encouraging stories every once in a while!

4. popey

popey DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did get my 8 to 10 month last week in Dumaguete and ask do l have to go to manila for the 6 moths visa, no you can now get that in CEBU and you have to go to Cebu for a new ACR-I CARD september ok -----but why can't we read or get info like that you just give carry on 2 months and op to 36 here in Dumaguete --when l went to SINGAGAPORE in sept. l did ask can l get 6 mont here in DUMA no only in Manila l phoned Manila l sent mail l ask on their homepage here on facebok all answers WE HAVE TO SE YOUR PASPORT -- but thanks for INFO ---------and it is same price in the end 6 month or 3x2 month but + trip to Cebu or Manila extra --like some say more fun in the Phillipines

5. lapux2

lapux2 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In March of this year, I was 11 months overstay. I was living in Panglao Island, Bohol, at the time. I went to the immigration office in Tagbilaran and asked to speak to the officer in charge and I explained my situation. She looked at my passport and told me that I was 22 days past the 18 month mark. She told me had I came in prior to the 18 month mark, I could have paid my fine and went on my merry way. She told me then that the only people who could settle my problem was the main immigration office in Intramuros.

I bought a round trip ticket on AirAsia.com from Tagbilaran to Manila. Two days prior to my departure, I went to see an attorney. He had no experience in immigration matters whatsoever, but he agreed to help me and he wrote and then typed up an official "Motion for Reconsideration" addressed to the Immigration Commissioner,and notarized it with an official seal. I would add, that before he prepared the letter he had me wait an additional day because he wanted to read and study the relevant law and guidelines issued by BI. His charge for writing my MR was 500 pesos. I said thank you and gave him a thousand and told him to keep the change.

I flew to Manila, with the MR in hand and arrived bright and early to BI in Intramuros. I went to a window where a nice fat lady looked at my passport, never blinked or expressed any facial emotion and told me to pay 21,538 pesos only. I paid the money and she printed out all the paperwork - which she gave me including the receipt - and told me to proceed to window 32 - where I handed in my passport and my paperwork

After about 10 minutes a man motioned for me to come to the window and he told me that I would need to supply "proof of income." I also had to fill out an additional "form letter" type Motion for Reconsideration. BI wanted to know how I had been supporting myself all this time - especially since it is illegal to work on a tourist visa. I told him no problem and that I would be back after lunch.

I hopped in a taxi and told the driver to take me to Robinson's in Ermita. While there, I hit an internet cafe and printed out my US bank statements going back to October 2010 when I first started living in the Philpppines; a letter from the Veterans Administration indicating my disability and the amount received each month, and a similar letter from DFAS (Defense Finance & Accounting Service) showing the monthly amount received from my CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) from the Army. Both of these letters are offered through their respective agency websites and are available for printing at any time. After paying for the printing, I hit Burger King and had a nice lunch.

After lunch, I took another taxi back to Intramuros and I handed in my passport and paperwork and then had a seat. After about 1 hour, I was called to the window and given my passport back. Stapled on the back cover of my passport, there was a 8 1/2 x 11 letter that said as follows:

"XX March 2014, Wednesday

Sir/Madame,

Your visa extension has reached the maximum allowable stay for a foreign tourist here in the Philippines and you are required to seek the approval of the Commissioner before we can extend your visa.

Our office will be forwarding your application, together with the supporting documents that you submitted, to the Office of the Commissioner for his approval and this may take several days. Make sure that the original and correct passport is with you before leaving the immigration premises.

Please call our office at (02) XXX-XXXX on XX March 2014, Xxxxxxxx, from 08:30-11:30 A.M; to inquire on the status of your application for Motion for Reconsideration and ask for Xxxx Xxxxxxxxxx. It is important that you make a call before coming back for the implementation of your extension visa.

Once approved, bring your passport to Window 32 - Receiving for the implementation of your visa extension. Thank you."

I said thank you, and left and flew back to the Bohol the next day. One week later, I called the number on the form and was informed that my application had been approved.

Later that month, I moved back to AC from Bohol, but before doing so, I went to Intramuros to get my extension stamp and a new ACR card that I had previously lost.

I wrote this post because I know there are guys who read this forum who are overstay and some of you who know someone who is overstay. Despite our best efforts, sh*t happens! My best advice is not to get into the situation in the first place. Make sure your visa is always current. If I had ever gotten into any trouble during those 11 months I would be sitting in IDC (Immigration Detention Center) today with my thumb up my @ss or worse.

If you do f*ck up, like I did, get your @ss to an attorney before you do anything. And after that, get to immigration and settle your problem! If you're late, don't keep avoiding and putting off the problem.