Dumaguete Info Search

4 robbery suspects identified, but will there be an arrest?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by shadow, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Sun.Star Dumaguete - 2 tourists held up; 4 suspects identified

Thursday, March 27, 2008
    2 tourists held up; 4 suspects identified

TWO visitors to Dumaguete became the latest victims in the series of hold-up incidents affecting the city.

Police Officer Rolando Paladar Jr., investigator, said the latest victims are German nationals Simone Marlene Mitchelle, 29, and Geong Haase, 25, both staying at the OK pension house along Sta. Catalina Street.

Arroyo Watch: Sun.Star blog on President Arroyo

Initial investigation showed that both victims were walking along Pinili Street from the OK pension and were on their way to the Boulevard Area when robbed by four men.

The robbery occurred when the two reached the Church of the Latter-Day Saints. One of the four men following the victims, according to the police report, suddenly approached the two and pointed a knife at them.

Mitchelle and Haase had no choice but to hand over their belongings, including a Fuji digital camera, ATM card, Master card, credit card, and other important documents.

The four men fled in the direction of Barangay Tinago.

Police said they now have a lead based on the testimony of witnesses who were able to identify the suspects.

Police said three of the suspects are residents of Sitio Canday-ong in Barangay Calindagan, while the fourth one is a resident of Barangay Tinago. (SGR)

Ooops, there I go. Scare mongering again!

:wink:

Don't worry, just stick your head in the sand and all will be fine.

Larry

2. spectre

spectre DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    paging vigilantes...

just kidding, hehehe :D

3. Travel Time

Travel Time DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What time did this robbery occur?

4. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Well if you insist on pointing out all the negative things you must have some agenda? scaring folks?
    It is easy to go through the local crime blotter of any paper in any city in the world and find similar stories. What indeed is your point?
    Is there crime in Dumaguete? Yes, is ther proportionately more crime here than other cities? You don't know most likely, why not research that and get back to us with some substantive data.

Tourists need to be aware, as it has been stated before many times throughout this forum. Taking a tricycle from OK to the BVLD or visa versa after a certain hour would be prudent.

Candayong/Tinago is a noted drug area, and the OK is on the border of the "zone", that is good information that may result in a positive outcome for anyone reading this. After dark, take a trike, best advice. Otherwise if you are a tourist and don't know the city, use your head, if you look like a tourist, and vulnerable, you may be marked.

5. Travel Time

Travel Time DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why would anyone care if such posts about crime are made? It's almost like those complaining are either trying to protect their home values, or just like to live in denial now that they've sold it all and moved into Dgte.

Or maybe they have apartments or real estate to sell?

Screw crime in other cities. This is the Dgte forum and those two victims for example would have loved to know what's what in town before they got here.

Much better to be informed. So what if someone not in town reads about crime on this forum and decides not to come-who cares-that much?

Better to do something about it rather than close your eyes to it.

By the way, there's no such crime where I live in the US. So it's not everywhere. But it certainly is on the rise in Dgte., and it's getting more violent.

6. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Yes, I have an agenda, and agenda of not sticking my head in the sand or to mislead people. I also have an agenda of starting a thread, and and allowing people to show their true colors, much like I would to start a conversation at the WhyNot or Adings if I were there. I'm not afraid here, or do I feel threatened in any way. Personally I feel quite safe here.

I do find it amusing that if someone posts something positive, somebody will point out all the bad things, and if you post something truthful but the least bit negative, someone will come forward and accost you, going so far as to make up names and labels for you.

Let the personalities show!

:wink:

Larry

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Shadow,
    that is all what a discussion board is about... post and read different opinions.

We all don't know yet what time this hold-up happened but lets put your copy/paste in other words...

DI-crime-news:

2 long-noses with white skin were walking from their pension to the boulevard area. Instead of using safe roads or a 15 peso-transfer they decided to walk the way along the local "ghetto" area with their Fuji camera around the wrist.

Using all common sense they also decided to carry ATM cards, master cards, credit cards and other important documents with them.

Following the world-wide criminal outline: "You offer, we take.." 4 people of this "ghetto"-district took advantage of that offer...

The 2 victims are trying to book a flight now to the US to visit the latest DI-Troll Travel Time as he is living without crime. They are a bit worried that they will end up in a protected 6 square-meter-cell with rubber-walls... but at least no crime there...

I don't stick my head into the sand (specially not here with all the Bayuts around) but common sense and awareness would help a lot and makes it easy to avoid situations like in your copy/past-post.

Yes, crimes are existing in Dumaguete.

I read the news-paper online version of my hometown (70.000 population in Bavaria) I see more crime in the daily police-report there and I still consider it a very safe city. There are also streets I don't go at certain times of the day and I think that is in each city in the world.

Play with fire and you will burn your fingers. that's how it is everywhere in the world .... hmmm not everywhere, one place in the US is different....

Rhoody

8. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Are you kidding, travel time?

Travel time=Quote; " By the way, there's no such crime where i live in the US. So it's not everywhere. But it certainly is on the rise in Dgte. and it's getting more violent"...
    Reeeaally, no such crime where you live in the US? You must be kidding! Travel time, I live in the the US myself, and every day crime does happen; murders, rapes, hold ups, car jackings, home invasions (robbery), etc etc. too much to mention. Even if you don't live in one of the most dangerous cities, crime still exist. Crime here is much worse than philippines. Not too long ago there were dismembered bodies found in different locations along the highways and some thrown into the river. Yes, crime is everywhere. Bad people are everywhere. :(

9. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    There are better ways to point out the risks of traveling as a tourist in Asia than to simply copy and paste police blotter reports from the local newspaper. Your take is decidedly negative, ( at least it appears so) I live here for 3 years only, but I know and accept the risks associated with living abroad, certainly as I said, crime exists here, but why not give constructive advice to prospective visitors rather than simply posting a reprint from an article? No one has their head in the sand here, But your view is rather didactic and offers no advice to visitors, only rasies alarms (witout substantiation of any trend I might add).
    Is crime on the rise here? maybe some statistics would be in order. Now if you find info supporting that, it would be worthy of posting, no one would argue.

Apparently it is just easier to post a quote from a paper than dig for facts, or give a warning with a personal note of caution. And maybe that's really the objection some of us haveto your style of post
    One fact you may or may not be aware of, is that in the 1980's there were groups of priviledged youths wandering the streets with guns threatening local citizens and expats, they were at the time above the law, as there parents were well to do connected people. After they physically dragged a foreigner from a local restaurant and threatened him a stop was put to their activities. I think this was posted here before, but it bears repeating.

Today there are some external crime elements in Dumaguete, targeting tourists, I have not been threatened personally but indeed they exist. this is not having your head in the sand. I would add that most of the crime here is Filipino on Filipino neighbor against neighbor, Silliman students are also a prime target during the school term as they are easy marks at night as they travel about flashing cell phones and money. The vigilantes mentioned a while back are existing as a an ex officio police action designed to neutralize criminal elements, without the encumberance of the judicial system. If that is offensive to you, then there is always a choice where to live, but that is the same throughout the Philippines, and this doesn't affect foreigners.

Dumaguete is way safer than even a small city like Harrisburg Pennsylvania where the convenient stores have 2" thick polycarbonate enclosures around the cashiers, money pass throughs, and 5 security cameras. See that in Steds lately?

Count the number of actuall purse snatchings, and tourist expat directed crime, and I would bet that it is a small percentage of the total. Again note the time and place of any of the crimes, read between the lines, and you can almost predict the outcome.

Like FOX news, I am fair and balanced...:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    When I was there , I walked many times in the night time around dumaguete together with my boy friend (long nose) nothing bad happen.Of course we are not showing things openly that can sparkle the eyes (bad people). Crimes is everywhere in this world ....you just use your own common sense to become not a victim..as simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.