Dumaguete Info Search

7 Practical Money-Saving Tips When Visiting the Philippines

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Brian Oinks, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hmm.....

1. Buy Perishable Foods at Public Markets or Stands
    The long nose tax can make this one kind of difficult to expats new to the Philippines. Without any prices listed (usually), you need know what the locals pay for things. This is probably one of the most "practical" tips on the list though.

2. Use Peso Water Dispensers When You’re Out and About
    You know that homeless guy that sleeps on the cardboard at night right next to the water dispenser that doesn't have a cup.....that's his shower and personal drinking fountain. Make sure you are up to date on all your immunizations prior to taking a swig out of one of those. I think paying an extra 5-10 pesos for a sealed bottle is well worth it.

3. Apply for a Non-Tourist Visa

Their advise on this one can be rather risky, expensive or N/A. They also aren't as easy as to obtain as they make it out to be.
    Work visa: Ok, you came to work in the Philippines? Very well. :rolleyes:
    Marriage visa: They think tourist visa extensions are expensive? The author has obviously never been married. :hilarious:
    Retirement visa: You basically have to throw away 10-50k USD (depending on age and if you have a pension). The prior service SRRV is a good deal....but you have to be over 50 and get a disability/pension check.
    Investment visa: Don't think I need to say how this one can go south quickly.
    Missionary visa: :meh:

Yes, these visas will work and could save money for some people but I wouldn't call this a "practical money-saving tip". They did fail to mention the quota visa, which is the one I would be most interested in. :wink:

4. Take Public Transport Instead of Taxis

It will take some time to figure out the jeepney/bus routes. Leave your personal space at home and keep a close watch on your belongings/pockets if you plan on using public transportation, especially in the larger cities.

5. Live (and Save) for the Weekends

Ok. I don't really know what to say about this one.

6. Buy in Bulk
    If you live in an area that has reliable electricity. I also don't think it possible to buy in bulk outside of the larger cities.

7. Keep What You Need, Cut What You Don’t
    Didn't they just say to buy in bulk? The rest of their advice is just common sense.
    No sh*t? :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    1) I get my Wife to buy at any Market where there are no price tags as I do not trust buying, this also includes paying for any Fares as she will not accept the; "But your Husband is as wide as two people that is why I want double fare" line... :smuggrin:
    2) I buy my water from a local water station who delivers and my understanding is it is the same water that we pump from the well behind the house, but it makes wifey happy to think I am drinking "Mineral Water" :rolleyes:
    3) I think the 13a Visa was my best move yet in this country to saving money and hassles! :thumbsup:
    4) Even I am disabled and use a crutch to walk I catch a Jeepney to and from town, use Tricycles around town and occasionally use the Bus is it is late and the Jeepneys are finished up for the night, I would love to buy a Car but I honestly believe I will save much more by using Public Transport :smile:
    5) Meh... :o o: Luckily I am a Home/Family body so my only need to save is for medical emergency or the security of somewhere to call 'Home' :smile:
    6) I WISH I COULD! I am paid once a month and only go to the city once a month to shop, so it would be nice if I could buy in bulk like in the west instead of buying (almost) everything in single serve sachets, THAT annoys me! :o o:
    7) Finally the wifey is cutting down on meal sizes and putting the left over from one meal into the fridge for the next meal to save money instead of giving it away or feeding to the dog! I get very annoyed when she wants to buy something I do NOT NEED... I constantly argue that two pairs of shoes is PLENTY for a man I can only wear one pair at a time! I do NOT NEED another carry bag! I already have one that works just fine... I have around 50x T Shirts and likewise Shorts and do NOT NEED more! She likes to treat me but often I just do not need another to sit and gather dust... Many things we just plain do not need yet, all in good time WHEN we NEED is fine with me... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6