Dumaguete Info Search

8.8 magnitude Quake hits Japan

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by bull shark, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bull shark

bull shark DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holy crap. I have been watching on CNN for 30 minutes now a Earthquake that hit Japan with a magnitude 8.9 & 6.4 quake and several hard aftershocks and a tsunami also.

It hit several miles off of the coast of Japan. The tsunami waves did major damage in Japan and I am positive there is loss of life. The waves travel approx 500 miles an hour.

Might be a good idea for Philippine residents to be aware of and be safe.

2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Upgraded to 9.0 now by USGS, Tsunami watch in effect for the Philippines

3. Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Amazing video on the tube right now, major doom-age.

4. OP
    OP
    bull shark

bull shark DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are not joking. The Tsunami and more very heavy shocks are still hitting now live on CNN.

5. Manzanita

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Did you see that incredible shot of the huge wall of cars, houses, debris n' s---t racing across the land?....WOW!

6. OP
    OP
    bull shark

bull shark DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I did. It is still going on now.

7. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Maybe a good idea to avoid ferry/boat journeys for 24 hours especially along the east side of the Philippines. Take care all

8. FJP

FJP DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This may be of interest to Dumaguete residents:

TSUNAMI ALERT

The United States Embassy alerts U.S. citizens to the possibility of a tsunami hitting the eastern shores of the Philippines following a magnitude 8.9 earthquake which struck the east coast of Japan Friday afternoon. Please pay attention to any warnings or orders from local officials regarding evacuations or the placing of portions of the coast off limits.

PHIVOLCS has placed an ALERT Level 2 in place and is recommending that residents in the affected areas evacuate the coastline. The following coastal areas in the Philippine provinces fronting the Pacific Ocean are expected to experience wave heights of at most one meter: Batanes Group of Islands, Cagayan, Ilocos Norte, Isabela, Quezon, Aurora, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Albay, Catanduanes, Sorsogon, Northern Samar, Eastern Samar, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Surigao del Norte, Davao Oriental, Davao del Sur.

The first tsunami waves are expected to arrive between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., Friday (Philippine time).
    People are advised to stay away from the shoreline during this period. People should not go the coast to watch the tsunami. People whose houses are very near coastal areas facing the Pacific Ocean are strongly advised to go farther inland.

Boats in harbors, estuaries or shallow coastal water should return to the shore. Secure your boat and move away from the waterfront. Boats already at sea during this period should stay offshore in deep waters until further advised.

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Tsunami suppose to hit the PI around 6pm tonight, probably down here shortly thereafter. I plan on going to Casablanca tonight, I pray to God it is still there. Hopefully, we are protected from the outer Islands.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... that's a trip I certainly would skip. normal waves go over the seawall already in normal conditions when it is windy.

as unlikely it is with all protective islands around, with the "bottle-necks" there could be quite some water coming in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.