Dumaguete Info Search

A Balibayan Box Solution

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by daanlungsod, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    This is our first post here, we're living in Dumaguete with 3 kids in Silliman.

After 9 years in Paradise, 3 in Duma, we couldn't take anymore depending on friends to send stuff from States, particularly Mexican condiments! We found POBox.ph a service of Forex Cargo. We shop sales at shop.safeway.com which delivers our salsa jalapenos chiles etc to Forex in LA where it's packed into boxes for shipment. POBox is sometimes slow to update received items on the website but we've received every item purchased in good condition and happy to recommend this to others.

The Negra Modelo is also great, never thought I'd ever taste it again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    What a great tip! Thank you OP.
    I'm going to line up a Safeway/BB shopping trip and get started on it immediately.
    I wonder if corn tortillas would still be good after 60 or so days.
    OP, how long did it take from ordering to delivery?

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Thanks, Tom!!

4. OP
    OP
    daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Manzanita,

We haven't tried shipping any, as my wife rolls our own tortillas from Bob's Red Mill flour. We get it from iHerb.com also with free delivery over $40.

Hint: Where Safeway/Vons asks for a ZIP code for shopping use 90061 which is the POBox ZIP.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    As we are in Cebu on a regular basis, we just bring back most of what's listed from there. Some items we have seen or brought back in the last few months;

Albers masa
    Jalapenos of many varieties, Embassa is the one we use the most.
    Frozen burritos (Reser's, Tinas, and others in various flavors, just like in the US mini marts)
    Hillshire farms smoked kielbasa, turkey and beef available. (The turkey was very cheap, p75 for 1 pound ring, beef P150)
    Canned chili peppers
    Large variety of salsas and tortillas (we make our own) Sometimes corn torts are available, but we have masa so no need.
    pinto beans, from 1 kilo bags to 10 kilo bags.

Not all this is in stock all the time, but it's there is Ayala and Rustan's on a hit and miss basis. As we are there sometimes several times per month, we just buy what we can when we see it.

Larry

6. OP
    OP
    daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Thanks, Larry, we love your salsa! We once visited Cebu often but too many disappointments and the trip gets longer as we get older, home delivery beats carrying cartons for us. We used to buy pintos and flour at Ayala but no longer stocked. We like La Victoria but not found here. Our family loves their breakfast burritos and green chile cheeseburgers. Right now I'm slurping a Tecate, 30 for $16.99, maybe they taste better at LaDelicia.net:wink: The local brew is good but variety is living.

7. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    thanks daanlungsod .
    before i read your post, i was about to sign up with www.manilaforwarder.com
    who also does package consolidation www.manilaffoorwarder.com/philsurfer.html

but cept for payment options, it looks like forex is a lot easier to work with and has better prices. does anyone else have any input on this.

according to the shipping log you posted (thxs) your box actually took a little more than 2 months. who delivered your box? reason i ask is cuz i'm on siquijor and would prefer that the box be delivered to a terminal/warehouse in duma so i can pick it up myself.

thanks,
    norm : ))~

8. OP
    OP
    daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Hi Kelpguy!

This was our 5th & 6th box and took 1-2 weeks longer, perhaps looking for chop-chop. Forex Cargo has an office in Bacolod which delivers here and to Siquijor. They would likely be overjoyed to drop it here, just ask.

There are several other methods, including Johnny Air Cargo if you're in a hurry. I like POBox for the fixed price of packing and delivery, we started using it for Amazon etc then stumbled onto food & bev. Here are their shipping rates to Dumaguete:

Black Box - $45
    Yellow Box - $55
    Red Box - $68
    Blue Box - $78
    Green Box - $88

While living on Guam we had USPS to beat 'Island Fever', this is also great medicine.

Depending on friends has it's perils. We sent several $hundreds for a buddy to send some hot computer parts, he had a heart attack, went to California for a couple of years to recuperate so 3 years later we received a box of dated relics. A Fedex package sent through Philippine customs was charged duties even on the shipper fee & held for more than a month with a big storage charge. Air21, the local Fedex agent then delivered it with their own long list of extortive fees including their own storage charges.

Life's good while there's a box in the pipeline and you can check online for its progress across the planet, delivery day is to live for.

9. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hi daanlungsod...
    > Forex Cargo has an office in Bacolod which delivers here and to Siquijor. They would likely be overjoyed to drop it here, just ask.

i wrote them earlier today and i'm awaiting their reply. you say, ''just drop it here,'' where's ''here''?
    and they deliver to duma from bacolod? they must do the whole island.

> I like POBox for the fixed price of packing and delivery,

do you have a link for POBox?

>we started using it for Amazon etc then stumbled onto food & bev.

food and beverage? those prices look like forex

>Here are their shipping rates to Dumaguete:

Black Box - $45
    Yellow Box - $55
    Red Box - $68
    Blue Box - $78
    Green Box - $88

i noticed several shipping rate discrepancies on their website so the actual shipping price must depend on the ''moment'' of billing.

>Life's good while there's a box in the pipeline and you can check online for its progress across the planet, delivery day is to live for.

agreed, i haven't had a package in more than two months and i'm having withdrawal symptoms but i'm gonna take care of that in the next couple of days thanks to you : )

norm : ))~

10. back2eden

back2eden DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the great tips you guys. I was excited to learn that my favorite website for shopping for household items like Bedding, Kitchenware, Towels, and even clothes is now shipping to the Philippines!! Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more is a website I used when still living in LA due to the incredible prices & quality of their products. One of the things I miss most about home is some kick-butt towels, down comforters, stainless steel pots & pans, etc... Now, I have not used them yet, and won't know what their shipping rates & customs fees will be here in the Philippines until check out. But they seem like a decent reputable company that ships all over the world. Good luck and good shopping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.