Dumaguete Info Search

A bit of advise...

Discussion in 'DI Front End Pages' started by Chriscraft, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Chriscraft

Chriscraft DI Member

Retired digital nomad
    Ratings:
    +77 / 15
    ...needed!

I am an aging 'digital nomad' considering to retire in Asia somewhere and Dumaguete seem to be a decent alternative! I have lived in Thailand (South Phuket) 3 years and enjoyed life there. But the Thai currency has boomed and cost of living has gone up pretty much lately. I have browsed the Forums here a while and it seems living in the Philippines does not differ that much from Thailand. Same kind of problems, same kind of treatment and same kind of laws for foreigners.

I am coming over in early July for a couple of weeks to look around and get some feeling for the surroundings. Reading from posts in the Forums it looks like most of you recommend anyone to live in the City or Bacong, and to avoid Sibulan and Valencia. I would like to rent a house with a garden to put up a BBQ whenever. Looking at ad's I can get a small house for 12.000 - 15.000/month (which sounds reasonable). I am single and a social creature so I would appreciate some places where ex-pats meet near my house. I would like easy access to shopping center/food market. Planning to buy a motorbike rather than a car since I got used to it in Thailand.

1.) What would you suggest I do with the VISA issue? Start off with a tourist VISA and renew it when due for the first year? Put up the $10K and go straight for the retirement VISA?

2.) I got a bit curious about Dapitan City (Mindanao) since pictures suggest it is a beautiful place! The concern I have if moving there is that it is perhaps TOO quiet? Any suggestions?

3.) Someone told me that buying a vehicle in Dumaguete would be more expensive than buying it in Cebu and bring it over! True or not? In Thailand it is a nightmare to move it to another 'Muang', a lot of paper work, new plates and stuff.

4.) When renting a house, would there be a difference in price (and trust)to rent straight from the landlord or through some estate agent?

Cheers!