Dumaguete Info Search

A Nightmare ( or a Glimpse into the future of a possible reality)

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :eek: I don't sleep to well at all ( I may have said on various occasions) the Heat, the sometimes noise or as it was Last Night, suddenly sitting up a little shaken and sweating profusely [ although I was quite cold]
    My mind was full of Woe and things that no one should ever be thinking about. Over the years I have read about Dreams and such and how they happen or indeed why they happen but never really understood any of it. I am not really a believer on, Shall we say, the Spiritual side of the Mind but just how this one came about I can't imagine.

My nightmare was about Money well the total lack of it. Like many here my main Saving Pot has gone into the House and the other well is slowly but surely reducing through Education and other things, Visa's and such.
    What would happen if it was all gone?
    "The Nightmare"
    OH Yes! the nightmare. Well I suddenly woke up after this thought, the UK had overnight, had a Greek Tragedy,
    it was Bankrupt the nation had had a total Financial Breakdown. My pensions Stopped in 2 months.
    What on earth was I going to do, yes my Wife has a good Employment but no where near the amount of salary to give the household the Luxuries we are currently enjoying. :arghh:

Having them go back to Basics of course for a start but it would go further than this, we would struggle on Food alone, Electricity, Water, Total mayhem for me would arise. Gosh No Internet, mobiles with no load.
    Each day we can all see (and I know that we all do see it) the locals struggle daily, a Word I don't think we can remember in our life, Yes many had it hard but from things said here in posts I am not too sure any of us actually Struggled, I certainly never have had to too ( there was always a Plan "B") but now at 67 and earning capability's have passed me, and Plan "B" is looking a little low on the savings side. So this was the issue I woke up too in a Cold Sweat. Totally Broke! all gone, Savings, Pensions the lot. UK Banks Closed and can't Transfer what little was left. :sorry:

My goodness, maybe a little OTT but
    What If ?
    As the UK is not Shengen or Euro Zone I doubt there could be a bale out for us, So I am going to have a coffee and maybe start to look just a little more closely at the family Spending.:facepalm:

One thing for sure, I don't want another nightmare like this one or was it a glimpse of the Future?:nailbiting:

JP :bag:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    The Struggle is real for some..and has many faces

[​IMG]

25mg Benadryl provides a nice night's sleep with enhanced dreamland adventures now and then, but without drowziness the next day.

Otherwise, get off the 'I'm 67yo' pity-potty and use The Force!

- The Force, if you recall, was something that was already within Luke Skywalker, he just had to reach down and find it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    OY! since when is the Statement I made sitting on the pity potty?

4. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    "but now at 67 and earning capability's have passed me"

5. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    O
    OH! so You will get a job at 67 will You? One that pays wages here to compensate your loss of Savings and Pensions, I think not. Now my friend if you are trying to be Humorous on a sensitive and Quite possible happening in life today, try and throw in a few smileys so we can judge.:wink:

JP:thumbsup: :bag:

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm pretty sure he was.

7. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    My first thought; write a book. I'm a firm believer that everyone has at least one good novel in them. This is not a joke.
    It could lessen your fears as you work on it. Anxiety - a root cause is a sense that one has diminished control of one's life.

8. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Point taken but this is a reality check for many, I myself am not too concerned but money is life, you need money the minuet you wake up until the minuet you go to sleep. My Initial Question related to my nightmare was What if? Now I take your Point, but in reality if it happened, you would have no PC and soon maybe no Electric anyway, Sooner or later you would run out of paper to write on and pens to write with.
    There is no more money coming in, it has gone, we have kept ourselves in comfort that has gone out of the Window. Now we gotta eat, Now we find ourselves in the same Situation as so many local people are today. What are you Gonna Do?
    There will be cynical and stupid answers of Course but we have all moaned about things happening and could happen to what we have Got.
    Scenario: It has Happened. the West has gone Broke, So What are you going to do? :jawdrop:

JP :pompus::bookworm:

ps BTW 15 days after it all went west your Extension is due.

9. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    The US runs a scary ga-zillion deficit, but yet the USD is stronger than a year ago. Last I checked the British pound is doing great. Why worry so much about your UK pension drying up? Stay away from the news for a while. News is fashioned towards BS to keep you addicted anyway. Keep your mind in the present. Train your mind away from doomsday 'what if' thought habit. If your mind is too cluttered with crap, you could end up walking straight into a bus while crossing the street.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Many Financial Wizards have said this before, I have lived through the Crash of Cypress, Portugal, Eire, Now Greece. It can happen Spain will be next and all I am saying is What if?
    Banks and Governments all say never! OK well if you or anyone out there can make a Statement it is OK then they have forgotten about "Wall Street" and if you can put it right you would be a Rich man in a Poor World.

Big banks going down for no other reason than Greed. It's OK "Pride before a fall. The World is a vulnerable place today, even the 'Ostrich got it wrong'
    I am sure you are right all I ask is What if? and what would you do? seems no one really has an answer so I guess like me, No one knows what they will do.

JP:wink: