Dumaguete Info Search

A PC issue with the keyboard

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Union Jack, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi guys, just wondering if any good samaritan could help me out with a small but very annoying issue i'm having with my laptop....
    basically what happens is that everytime i switch from capital letters to small letters or viceversa, i end up having to wait a few seconds for the switch to happen, that way it takes ages to type a document/ letter as i cannot proceed tapping letters....is it a malware/worm/virus issue or just a setting issue?
    i've got windows 7 installed from the manufacturer....i suspect it is one of these automatic software update which went wrong....
    many thanks for your help!!

2. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Sounds like a resource issue...too many things happening in the background behind the scenes....

How much ram do you have on your laptop and how much space do you have left on your hard drive?

3. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    hi ninja, thanks for the prompt reply..
    i've got 4gb ram and plenty left on my hard drive....

4. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    try to run your anti virus and anti malware check...

Do you also install tune up utilities 2011 or avg pc tune up. It could help help you correct some software issues and clean your internal software programs.

5. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Sounds like you have a keystroke logging bug running behind the scenes, do what Newbie said and I bet you'll find it.

6. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Union jack, go to Start, Run and then type in MSCONFIG In the he command line. You will get a little box.

Select the tab which says STARTUP. Select disable or deselect everything in there except for your anti virus application.

Select apply and it will reboot.

When it does reboot, a warning screen will appear advising that you have changed the startup process. Click on the tab to do not show this message again.

Now, it should start up quicker without the applications running in the background. If it still does not fix it, then reverse the procedure and advise.

If you like, it's up to you, install cross loop and PM me and I can assist from Australia!

7. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I forgot, why don't you do a system restore to a previous date when it WAS working fine? Try that first before the msconfig details I posted for you.

Enjoy.

Ninja.

8. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi Ninja, thanks for the assistance, much appreciated......after running antivirus and malware softwares to no avail, i've finally opted for the most drastic solution and run the recovery disc after saving all important docs and pics on an external hard drive. Funny enough, it cured the problem but i've then got an issue with the wifi setting (the wifi is not turned on and probably the driver needs looking after too) so resorted to connecting my laptop to a ethernet cable so to be able to access the internet. In frustration i messed up with some settings and i will run the recovery disc once more when i've got more time at hand (Till then i'm down.. i'm using a computer from work at present).
    Cheers, Marco.

9. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Sorted....after running the recovery disc and re-installing all programs, the last hurdle was to turn on the wifi card, easier said then done when my laptop does not have any external switch. I found out though a friend that the way to do it is to click on the Fn and the wifi keys on the keyboard to turn the darn thing on and presto...all done!

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    The Fn key is one of the most overlooked keys on a notbook (as are F1 - F12).
    I use the Fn -wifi to turn off the WiFi on Rechels Notebook, when I need all bandwidth for live streams like Formula one and football.

When I get the "I have no connection" complaint, I yell from my office "yeah, very bad connection today, Globe really sucks"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.