Dumaguete Info Search

Aches n Pains

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Oct 11, 2014.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Good day people.
    Does living in the Philippines climate make a difference ?
    This morning I woke up with aches n pains and stiffness (not in the right place)
    And it started me wondering with the onset of winter starting here in the UK, the cold and damp air does cause problems as one gets older.
    So the question is, Do you feel better in the hotter climate of Philippines and have you noticed any improvements for living there?
    regards JB

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Be thankful you aren't in a cold climate. Starting to cool down here and some of those old army injuries being felt again. I rarely feel the old knee and back injury while in the Philippines but it never fails to start hurting again when I get in a cold climate. You would think I'm 80 years old by the way I walk around when it gets down to freezing temps.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    JB, the warm weather makes a significant difference when it comes to body pain. I had back, elbow, both shoulders, and hand surgeries and torn muscles which I passed on surgery. None of them bother me here, although the big rain does bring out stiffness. In the U.S., older folks tend to migrate toward Florida and other sunshine states for that reason. When I lived in England I hated the cold damp winters so I know what you are going through, so snuggle up to your honey and look forward to your move here. Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
  4. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    For me, I think it is mainly the psychological that causes the symptoms of "maturity leading to aches and pains" to vanish. The freedom to live fully here feels so much greater than in the States ( in my opinion), my activity level is higher here and the over all happiness I experience here drops my blood pressure, relieves most aches and pains, and brightens my mental outlook enormously! Living here may not be the "Fountain of Youth", but it has made a dramatic difference in my feeling of general well-being. Isn't that what all of us expats hope for in our retirement?

• Like Like x 4
  5. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    There may well be psychological well being, that's true, I for one always feel better when the sun is shining, but I also feel there is a benefit of sunlight and warmth to my body too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    JB as a recipient of Two new hips, a knee and three new Elbows, I suffer more in the cold wet climate, but the three times I have visited the PH. after three or four days I can dispense with a load of painkillers..And yes I do have a few more joints that get pain. W ether that's enough to get me to leave this great health sevice here is debatable. Cheers Stilo PS. Like the new site Wyre

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Do the alarm bells ring when you go through the security screening?
    I fully understand your reasoning Stilo, even if 400,000 staff are contemplating strike action today.
    But seriously the NHS is the most important reason I have not retired to Philippines myself, as much as I love the place and it's people.
    But what is happening on Europes doorstep could just change my mind....regards JB

8. Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    JB, Yes the alarms do ring, once i had to show them my scars, luckily they were happy with just the knee. Yes i am not happy with the way the UK is going, thats because i remember the fifties, not the good old days but they were fearless.Still thinking about Duma. but all the red tape to stay there is a bit off putting. Cheers Stilo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Red tape from the Philippine side or from your home country's side? I think it's pretty easy to stay long term, even more so if you are of retirement age.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Stilo, patience and perseverance and understanding are indeed necessary to stay here, but not really that difficult. Forum folks happy to guide you through the processes. Cheers

• Like Like x 1