Dumaguete Info Search

ACR iCard Acr i-card

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by anthony1, Mar 27, 2010.

1. anthony1

anthony1 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I have been hearing and wondering about this THE ACR I-CARD. Well the other day I found out all about it when I went to renew my visa. I arrived back in the Philippines on 26 Jan 2010, had extended visa on 21 days to 59 days. So this was now my extension passed 59 days, I only wanted one month, because I am going to Thailand for ANZAC Day on the 22 April, if I got two months extension I would of wasted one month, because on departure it is all wiped out and I start again when I return on the 28 April. The one month visa cost me 2,550 Peso, but I still had to pay 1,500 Peso for express lane, only two other persons in the office, last time I was the only one in the office and they still wanted the express lane fee!
    Anyway, then I was told I also had to apply for a ACR I-CARD, I asked why (forgot, do not question) told because I was staying here more than 59 days.
    So I am given blank forms and told to get photo copy of blank form and passport pages, they don’t give you a form to fill out, you have to get a copy to fill out, another rip off.
    When I fill out form I am told to pay 2,279 peso, I pay the monies, but I am then told to go and get three passport size photos, on return I am told to go and get more photo copies of my application form and receipts’.
    Yes I am done, NO, I have to go to 2GO and pay for mailing of application form to Immigration Manila, return with receipt proof on mailing. Finished at last, now wait for card to return to immigration Dumaguete, I am told call back in one to two weeks!
    My question is, what does this card do more than what my passport now does?
    I know I am in the Philippines, but the cost of stationery and postage must be very low in Dumaguete Immigration and why they don’t have a photo copy machine, even if you had to pay for copying, it would save you running next door to travel agent to get copies.
    Anyway fellows, that is my information on the ACR I-CARD!
    :mad:

2. insipidkisser10

insipidkisser10 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Yes Anthony effective January 2010 all foreigners who stayed in the Philippines for 59 days required to have an ACR-ICARD. It is a one time payment. But too bad the system there is very slow. They need to process it in Bi-Manila. The truth is ACR-ICARD takes only 1-3 days processing if you process with an agent. Right Larry?, My best friend here in Dumaguete Forum. Hehehe. Peace.

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    Thanks for the information. Pretty interesting and confusing, as I was told something slightly different just last week.

They told me, that I will need the card but should wait, as they (BoI in Dumaguete) will get the online setup to make this application in their office soon.... whatever soon means in Philippine time ...

here the official benefits of the Card (but don't laugh ...!!! )

ADVANTAGES AND CONVENIENCE OF ACR I-CARD

To the ACR I-Card Holders:

1. They are provided faster processing time at the ports of entry and exit with a maximum of 10 seconds for the verification process.
    2. They are assured that they are holding a genuinely issued ACR.
    3. They receive faster and more efficient service at the BI offices for immigration requirements.
    4. They are provided incomparable convenience as they are holding only one immigration document. No more paper-based ACR and ICR/NBCR/CRTV/CRTT/CRTS/CRPE, ECC, SRC and RP.
    5. Online payment of immigration fees.
    6. Quick verification of information.
    7. Eliminates illegal and unwarranted detention of alien residents. The implementation of the ACR I-Card Project will prevent and eliminate instances where aliens are indiscriminately accosted, harassed and detained on mere suspicion of possessing fake or fraudulent immigration documents.
    8. It decreases the cost of transacting business with the Bureau of Immigration as the ACR I-Card Project will eliminate fixers, illegal middlemen and syndicates issuing falsified documents.

More interesting news, the ECC - clearance (for tourists staying 6 month or longer) can be done in Dumaguete, so no need to go to Cebu or another city. You just need to go there in time as it can take up to 3 week.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    well, using an agent would be throwing money out of the window.

I was in 3 BoI in Feb/march (2 of them in Luzon) and all told me to wait. Not that I trust government officials, but still more than each "agent" ... :wink:

well, I guess that is just me ...

5. OP
    OP
    anthony1

anthony1 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Excuse me for asking, but what is a the ECC - clearance (for tourists staying 6 month or longer) and what is it for?

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
  7. hill topper

hill topper DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Last month I went to Globe to have a landline and internet installed in my home in my name....Well..the first thing they ask me for was that Acr-ICard to show I was planning on staying for awhile. So...as others have done I have to put it in a Filipino friend name. I exspect all utilities will ask for that card...

8. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Hmm...I hadn't heard of that one. Does that mean one could extend their visa online? That would be convenient but sounds awfully high-tech for the PI...

I think this is mostly about generating more revenues for the government. I remember reading in "What's On Expat", a Manila-based newspaper for Expats, about a year and a half ago that their were 225,000 long-staying tourists in the Philippines and the number was growing at a pace of 9% per year. My rough estimation is that the Immigration fees for a long-staying tourist stand at about P21,000 per year per person. If one were to compare the Immigration fees paid by long-staying foreigners to the income taxes paid by citizens...only the highest income tax payers here actually pay more than P21,000 per year in taxes. (Assuming they report their income...)

Immigration fees are easier to raise with far less political backlash than raising taxes. So, I think it is a fairly significant source of revenue for the government at relatively little risk to the politicians.

I would note that Thailand's fees are even higher...however, with the economic crisis the Thais have been lowering their fees instead of raising them...

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    DG, I also had to laugh when I read that. but hey it's the Philippines.

so we probably get the visa extension via txt after paying online, need to take a screen-shot, print it out and duct-tape it in the passport

10. Lukester

Lukester DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    ACR-I card for 59-day visa - SUCCESS

I posted this on Feb 12. I thought it might be helpful to re-post this.

Yes, I know most you want to get your ACR-I card in Dumaguete. But for those who might be going to Manila anyway . . . .

Today, I succeeded in obtaining my ACR-I card within 3 hours time. I went to the Bureau of Immigration office in Manila. It opens at 8:00am. The gal at the ACR-I window didn't know what to do with a guy who had just extended his 59-day visa and also wanted the ACR-I card. She sent me down to the VISA EXTENSION window. That guy told me to fill out the form for the 59-day visa extension. I gave the completed form to the guy and told him I wanted to apply for the ACR-I card. Apparently, because my latest visa extension had close to 30 days left on it, he wanted me to extent my visa another 59 days. (They don't want to issue the ACR-I card if your planning to leave the country within 30 days.) He asked me to make photo copies of several pages in my passport. He then scanned the photo in my passport to be used for the ACR-I photo. No other forms, documents, finger printing, licenses, or blood tests, or photos for ACR-I card was needed. The guy told me to pay the fees for the ACR-I card and the visa extension at the cashier. I returned to him with receipts in hand for the payment. He then took my form, copies, and passport and told me to return in 2 hours and the card and visa would be ready. 2 hours later, I had the card in hand! The costs were --- 2,317 for the ACR-I card + 4,160 for the visa extension = 6,477pesos. (Yes, they got me for express lane fee, 1,000, and express lane fee certicate, 500. And you know what I think about that!)

Now don't ask me about other types visas or how to go about getting the ACR-I card for them in Cebu or in Dumaguete. I just don't know. I was going to Manila anyway, so I got it done in Manila. One more note – I was told in Manila that the ACR-I card was required for future visa extensions.

All of this is just what I was told and experienced. Don't go crawling all over me if you heard or experienced different. Things change in the PI like the weather.