Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Addressing NORECO/Electrical Issues

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Rye83, May 12, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I see that this has become an issue again. Let's try to set a few ground rules for discussing the topic:
    1. When addressing brownouts or other electrical issues do so in a respectful manner and don't take the loss of power personal. (Avoid name calling/personal attacks)
    2. If you know why something is the way it is or how to properly deal/resolve the issue or who to contact about unannounced brownouts please do so in a respectful manner, without personal attacks and don't take things personal. (Also please avoid the "deal with it or move somewhere else" replies.)
    I fully understand that having your electricity go out in a tropical country can be a real pain in the @ss and be very annoying...especially for westerners that are used to reliable utilities and business owners who lose a lot of time, money and productivity when these brownouts occur.

I also understand that there are members here that have friends and family that work for these utility companies and it can feel very insulting when people say that the employees of the company are idiots or incompetent at their jobs.

I think it is important that everyone understands how utilities, specifically electricity, works in the Philippines since many times brownouts are not the fault of NORECO (though many times they are). So I will try to explain all the different players and the laws that can lead to brownouts. Note that I am gathering this information through Google, if any of this information is wrong please feel free to correct me.

Power Generation:
    Private companies that generate power are authorized to operate and regulated by the Energy Regulation Commission (ERC). The ERC is in charge of making sure these companies comply with EPIRA standards. Remember that this is a government agency in the Philippines and is prone to the same "issues" you have with every government agency in a 3rd world country. Regulations and standards can be overlooked for the right price.

Power Transmission:
    This along with rates are regulated by the ERC. The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) won the bid to control this until 2058. However, the previous owner of the national transmission system, TRANSCO (I'm assuming this is/was the previous government ran operation), still owns all of the poles, lines, substations, land, etc and TRANSCO is also responsible for making sure NGCP follows regulations. Again, the government is still involved.

Power Distribution:
    This is where NORECO II comes in the picture. Rates here are regulated by the ERC and it appears that the National Electrification Administration (NEA) is responsible for setting up programs to insure these companies upkeep their infrastructure and remain financially solvent. There seems to be less government regulation here...which shows that sometimes these regulations are a good thing.

A lot of places where things can get screwed up along the way to your house.

Another issue is the rights that land owners have over the electrical companies. In most of our home countries if an electrical company needs to do maintenance on lines they just come and do the work, there is little a land owner can do to stop this...not so in the Philippines.

Now I'm not trying to make it sound like the electrical companies in the Philippines don't hold their share of the blame. One look at the mess of wires happening at the top of the power lines will show that they certainly aren't following electrical/safety standards. I won't, however, blame the linemen or other non-management employees for this. I suspect there are reasons why this happens...probably really bad reasons IMO, but reasons nonetheless.

I won't go so far as to call the management incompetent/greedy/stupid/lazy but the state of the infrastructure certainly leaves some hard questions to be answered by those in charge.

Note: I know in the past I have been responsible for sh*t stirring on this topic myself. I would like to apologise to those I have offended in the past (JP). My intentions here are not to point fingers at anyone but to try to make this a topic that can be discussed in a helpful and civil manner.

If everyone is talking "at" each other and taking these things personally then nobody is going to want to help anyone. Calling the electrical co-op employees idiots and telling people to deal with it or move doesn't lead to any meaningful conversation or help anyone.

If a user feels the need to post a thread every time the lights flicker then they will be free to do so on this forum, but in a respectful manner. If someone wishes to explain why the lights flickered or offer advice on how to fix the problem then they will also be free to do so, but in a respectful manner.

However, one thing to take note of: the Philippines has always had issues with supplying electricity and other utilities. It probably won't change any time soon. The only way you are going to have electricity 100% of the time will be to spend a lot of money and have backup systems (UPS, generator, etc). It is not a defense for the electrical companies and should not be an excuse for them to stop improving the infrastructure, it is just what you currently have to do to have power 24/7.

If any of the information I put out here is wrong I apologise in advance. Please feel free to correct me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #47 by Michael. B, Jan 7, 2019 (5 points)
  3. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    In the past 12 days in upper Batinguel we have had 11 brownouts. One of those days we had 2. This is usually happening about 4:00 a.m.. It wakes us up when the power goes off and the air-con suddenly goes quiet. The outage lasts anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours. To me this is not even normal for here. I wonder what the cause is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Recently Charlie they have been doing Work very early morning, there have been Notices of Disruptions from 4am to 5am Not sure if you this includes you but there have been some more but this is the only notice I can find just now noreco fo DI.jpg
    Hope this helps a little to understand the cause on this one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Have you contacted NORECO about the issues?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It would also be nice to know how our elec compay works and how the teams go about finding faults for the unscheduled brownouts we keep having! And also how many teams are on call at any one time?
    Maybe anyone in the know could explain a few of these things to the forum members?

• Like Like x 1
  7. tanjay

tanjay DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +107 / 30
    Blood Type:
    B+
    noreco2.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Do you have a link to where we can get the advisories? I joined/liked a couple NORECO II FB pages but apparently not the right ones.

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Masuk atau Daftar untuk Melihat you need to like it. Hmm dunno what that is but it will get you there

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    I don't do Facebook. Wouldn't it be nice if NORECO gathered a list of email addresses of their customers that would like to be notified in advance of brownouts. The U.S. Embassy in Manila automatically sends out notifications to thousands of us. So I see no reason NORECO couldn't do the same thing. Notified customers are far less unhappy than un-notified customers. Someone might want to suggest that to NORECO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    We did at the last two members meetings but nothing so Far. Azon tells me it is on the Agenda again for the July meeting. Their way of thinkings is the Majority of People use FB, sorry Charlie we are trying