Dumaguete Info Search

Adoption attorney

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bebasguy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Almost a year ago my wife and I decided to adopt her niece. Based on a recommendation I read on this site, we contacted a particular attorney and discussed it with him. He said it would be absolutely no problem and he could complete the process in three months. Total cost P30,000. Sounded very good, so we signed up. Big, BIG mistake. Here it is November and as far as I have been able to determine, he hasn't accomplished a damned thing. Almost impossible to communicate with. When we do catch up with him he has endless excuses for why it is all going so slowly. I'm hand delivering a termination letter to him today and demanding my money back. Do I really expect any satisfaction. Hell no!! Why is it so hard for these people to be honest, dependable and professional?

2. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi there, sad to hear that.
    similar adoption plans here, would you mind sharing where not to go, or if you don't want to mention the attorneys name, maybe the member who recommended it and I will look it up myself. Can't afford to spend too much money for nothing.

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Be careful, after many years of watching a few adoption attempts, they all all failed. One guy I know went through the whole process and was told in the end that foreigners can't adopt in the Philippines. I have never researched the actual law, this is just my observations.
    Ron

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    My apologies for the recommendation, if I am the one who recommended that attorney to you. Although I had success with him in a different transaction, I saw him after you visited him and he told me he would be able to help you out. He has since been hired by the governor as one of his high paid consultants and probably said the hell with his clients. If anyone wants to PM me, I will provide his name and never recommend him to anyone for anything again. Btw, he is the former province attorney general so you would think he would have had more integrity, a trait that is hard to find here.

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Gass, I sent you a PM

6. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    May I suggest an excellent Atty. in town. There's this good attorney and known as excellent to defend different cases in town and out of town. It's Atty. Yong, fronting F.U. High School

7. camote

camote DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Never pay advance for a service you will see the result later, a small downpayment would be good at all.
    Adaptions have to go to the court after recomondation from DSWD and the Juge will finally decide. Needs about one Yeare for all inklusive a new birtcertificat after all.

8. OP
    OP
    Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm afraid to mention his name. Anyone who has five armed bodyguards at all times may find a convenient way to have a misfire!

9. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    understood....

10. OP
    OP
    Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I finally did the research I should have done last January

According to the laws I read the last day or two, I am not now, nor never have been eligible to adopt a Filipino child. Any good attorney would know that and advise me not to try. Seems my man was guilty of malpractice, pure and simple. Is it worth it to sue to recover the money I paid him??