Dumaguete Info Search

Age & slippers discrimination

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Glendazumba, May 12, 2020.

1. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    The regulation disallowing certain age groups or those wearing slippers to go around the city or enter malls or supermarkets is a clear example of discrimination existing in this country. The prolonged isolation of seniors is akin to imprisonment. It is a violation of their constitutional rights. We can understand the concern. Of course, seniors know all that jazz. They could have bade farewell to this earth if they didn't know. I wonder what is going to happen to this world if seniors weren't around to make major decisions as almost all of the world leaders are in their senior years. This aspect of the guidelines is flawed and stupid. I hope all these discriminatory regulations will be corrected soon.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    I was not aware that slippers (?same as flip-flops) cannot be worn on the streets - thought it was related to bike riders only, as a safety issue.

But if that is correct then I can see the reason - it is because they are worried that people might trip over a virus.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Or that others might find them personally offensive?

• Like Like x 1
  4. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Maybe you are not a biker. If you are then you should know why they don't allow flip flops. Because if you have an accident you feet might not look good snymore. On a holiday in Phuket I saw a photo gallery of tourists with completely torn off toes because they were driving scooter with flip flops. Believe me it was an ugly sight.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    No, I am not a biker, but I do realise why wearing flip-flops on bikes is unsafe! Also, they are probably more hazardous than shoes for walking.

I find in the climate here that wearing socks and shoes makes my feet very irritated (a bit like @Rye83 at times! Joke lang) - due to my skin's reaction to sweat. So I am generally a flip-flop person.

But when I attended an event at Luce (Silliman) they would not allow me in wearing flip-flops - I went to my car and put on a pair of 'swimming shoes' (very flimsy and colourful) as that is all I had there and was allowed in! I didn't mind - their place, their rules.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Maybe they are taking the opportunity to educate the masses: helmet, mirrors, license, OR/CR, Slippers, pos bike. The old saying, “as long as you are down there”.

7. COCO_NUT

COCO_NUT DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So you are saying we can't wear flip-flops? I went down town Tuesday wearing flip-flops with out incident.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is against the law to wear them whole in a motorcycle. You won't have an incident wearing them until you do.

9. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Or partially.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Francois

Francois DI Junior Member

Retired