Dumaguete Info Search

Siquijor Agreement to boost tourism in Negros and Siquijor

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Rye83, May 28, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Negros Oriental Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Government of Canada signed a memorandum of agreement under the Local Governance Support Program for Local Economic Development, with Negros Oriental and Siquijor provinces, recently, a government press release said.

Continue reading...

2. rbrown

rbrown DI Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 8
    I agree tourism is one of the major avenues that should be pursued to provide jobs and income here but the problems associated with trying to make that happen are many. Transportation problems with the ferry companies, lack of frequent flights in and out, the level of service at hotels and restaurants, and don't forget (how could any of us) that joke of a BOI office and the process of getting visa extensions. The matter of care for the environment is also an issue......trash in the streets or beside them, trash in the rivers, and trash on the beaches. For a tourist destination to really thrive it has to be in the mindset of most all the local people.....to be kind and helpful to tourist, to understand the importance in not only their experience but also the "word of mouth" reviews and accounts they will give to others, and that they have a genuine feeling that they are wanted and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. The Freak

The Freak DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Interviewing freak expats.
    Ratings:
    +28 / 26
    I had some friends visit the Philippines and they hated it, because of the traffic, noise, and corruption, and said they would never visit again.
    The Philippines is not a country that welcomes tourists compared with other countries, and unless it ups the ante why would tourist`s go there?
    There are many things can be improved to attract tourist`s, but I guess it wont happen unless the Politicians take their blinkers off, get off their backsides, and take pride in their country, and stop thinking like children ............ but sometimes miracles do happen.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    People should be aware that the pictures they see online are not entirely true. Turn that camera s couple degrees in either direction and you are likely to see something not so pleasant in the Philippines. There are exceptions bit you will need to travel through the muck to get there. Tourists shouldn't be too worried about corruption though. Had little impact on a short stay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    The corruption affects tourist also---think of the "fixers" at the port who purchase all the tickets, then gouge the passengers who need to makea hotel or airline connect---think of the trike drivers at the airport who try to charge unsuspecting tourists 1,000p for a ride to Bethel or the thieving porters at the port who prey on EVERYONE---all this is a product of local political apathy. While I live here for many of the advatages most of us are aware of, i never recommend that anyone spend their tourist dollars here in Dumaguete vs Thailand, Bohol, or Siquijor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    In life it is said, "Where there is muck there is money' ( as in Scrap materials) "Where there are People there IS money"

JP:cigar:

7. The Freak

Ratings:
    +28 / 26
    Cant wait to get back to the Philippines, I have missed it so much, but I will have to get street smart all over again
    as I have become a little slack here in Australia, and even though I hate to admit it I have missed THE FREAKETTE.

8. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    Everyone has an opinion. In my honest opinion this "gift" from the Canadian Government is not about promoting tourism and jobs here.

There are a few thing going on in the background.
    1) there is an upcoming election in Canada
    2) there are 700,000 Filipinos in Canada and probably a third are eligible to vote.
    3) Filipinos view almost anyone that does something for their country as heroes.

Past actions of the government do not look good. Just prior to a previous election the government cancelled a deal to build two gas processing plant at a penalty charge of 1 billion dollars. That was to get the support of voters in two riding's near the projects.

Spending a little money on this tourism project could buy a lot of votes for the Steven Harper government.

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's a nice way of putting it. If you don't do your research on what to look out for before visiting a 3rd world country you are probably a very naive person. It's not hard for a tourist to avoid corruption in the Philippines.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1433126680,1433126609][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well sure. A politician isn't going to do anything unless they stand to gain from it. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Freak

Ratings:
    +28 / 26
    It does not matter how much homework you do to avoid corruption in the Philippines you will always be outsmarted until you learn the ropes.
    I have lived in the Philippines for 15 years now and occasionally I still get caught out, and I am not a naive person, so what chance has a "well"
    read tourist got?