Dumaguete Info Search

AHOY downstream!

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by shadow, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Gonna be some homes lost today. The canal behind our house is higher than I've seen in 4 years.

Larry in Valencia

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Still pissing down in Bacolod too...Very strange year.....

3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The house across the street from us in in the middle of a river (was a dry river bed, now a wet river bed.) I survived, a lot of people are going to have a tough night. I thought New Years was bad, this is much worse.

4. mike

mike DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wifes sister is a student living in a boarding house in Duma. Her first floor room was half submerged. Not sure if she will be able to live there anymore.
    My wife and I have a house in Santander (on Cebu 30 minute boat ride from Duma) but we are not living there. I'm being told by my wife's relatives that our lot is under water but our elevated house (about 4 feet) is ok. It's a steep uphill from the ocean to our house so I'm worried about everyone
    living between the ocean and our house. Hope you all are ok in Duma.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I hope you don't talk about the water coming out of my sink taking my house or the flooded house where shadow was living before and now a good friend of us...
    My 2 girls managed it fantastic as I was not at home and could not go there due to closed roads....guess I need to change my booking at Jollybee for Valentinesday and upgrade it a bit....

6. bold.and.beautiful

bold.and.beautiful DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yesterday was worse than New Year's Eve. Many more houses submerged in water or washed away, plenty of people dislocated. Several families at the Mother Rita low-cost housing subdivision in Candauay, Dumaguete, after the Okoy River overflowed, were left homeless. Houses along the Banica River bank were also destroyed, some carried away by very strong current. A bridge in Sibulan was carried downstream, now you can only see what's left of it -- posts. Several bridges became impassable and vehicles/people were stranded as the water rose to unprecedented levels. A dead body was found washed ashore at the boulevard. Rescuers, including the Army, worked the whole night to help evacuate and provide relief assistance to the victims. Several areas in Dumaguete were also flooded, as high as knee-deep. Time for city officials to put in a good sewage system in Dumaguete. We can only hope and pray we won't see a repeat of Mother Nature's wrath like yesterday. :(

7. cardijo

cardijo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here are some impressions from yesterday around my place in Motong.

Attached Files:

8. cardijo

cardijo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess, the passenger in my last picture didn´t mind to much anymore. Some others had a lot of fun.

Attached Files:

9. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    These images were taken at about just after 1700 on Saturday 7 Feb 09 just north of the point where the Colon Extension crosses the Banica River on a weir. The river had just broken out above the sidewalk level on the outer side of the retaining culvert and started to flood the lower lying areas.

Many homes became flooded BUT they were protected from being torn away.

Attached Files:

10. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    These images are taken looking upstream on the Banica River from the "new" bridge at about 1730 on 7 February. In the first image the retaining system is seen as being almost full with about 1 1/2 foot of freeboard. It is holding well and continued to do so throughout the flooding period.

In the second image, the flooded area beyond the dyke is seen. Sure it's wet - but it's still there. It would be long gone without the dyke to protect it from the force of the water.

The third image - I apologize for the blurriness - is taken from the "new" bridge as well. It is a telephoto shot upstream and shows people standing on the top of the dyke with the flooded area beyond.

The fourth image is taken from the "old" bridge which carries the National Highway, presently under repair. It is looking downstream towards the sea. The last is a similar photo of the rubberneckers.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.