Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Alkaline Battery Recycling

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Edward K, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I was trained properly in california, where the town recycled 84% of its trash. Does anyone know if there is a spot in Dumaguete where you can drop old batteries. Over the last couple years, we've accumulated a small bag and know we are not supposed to throw the AA and AAA alkaline, maybe even lithium in the trash.... We already recycle the "bio's" and the "non-bio's" for the shiny new truck.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 3
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Actually for most of the world, alkaline batteries are considered sanitary landfill (normal garbage) for incidental disposal of AA and AAA cells. But if you collected a large bulk package of spent cells, that becomes a different matter because it no longer becomes normal household waste. In California I believe things are different than rest-of-world. There, they take into account the slight amount of mercury in alkaline cells and consider it to be “toxic” waste and I am not sure what compulsory measures they need to take. I would consider a small quantity of alkaline cells here to be sanitary landfill, just like in the States excepting California. Many people do not understand lithium requirements including me because the governments cannot make the required distinction between toxic waste (poison, like cadmium, lead, Mercury) and hazardous waste (explosive, like lithium). I would guess CA law makes no distinction. Why? I don’t know. But lithium will not pollute the environment no matter what CA thinks. Lithium is a base element like sodium, calcium and potassium BUT like sodium has a tendency to explode under certain conditions. It will not explode on the way to the sanitary landfill. So I typically throw them away (sanitary landfill) on the basis of about one laptop battery every 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1