Dumaguete Info Search

Allergic to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm in the northern part of Afghanistan. The environment here is much like El Paso (high desert). I mention El Paso because, much like when I was stationed there, my allergies go absolutely crazy during the summer months. I have to take antihistamines like clockwork or absolutely nothing can get done.

Unfortunately, the PX has ran out of Claritin-D (Loratadine). This was the only antihistamine that worked for 24 hours that was available out here. I can get Allegra (fexofenadine), which lasts 12 hours but costs roughly $1/pill....about the same as Claritin but you have to take twice as many pills.

I can also get various other generic antihistamines (usually Suphedrine or something like that) for $2-$3 for a box of 24 pills but these generic brands only last 4 hours....which would be fine if I only slept for 4 hours at a time.

I've been popping antihistamines for a solid 2 months now and I can't remember when the allergy season ends here. Most of these packages say to stop use and consult a doctor if symptoms continue for more than a week. (Obviously, I'm not going to do that since I'm here asking questions.)

Does anyone know of ways to go about relieving allergy symptoms without the use of drugs/antihistamines?

2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I assume these are respiratory allergens. Only obvious things to suggest, like trying to find out what allergens you are sensitive to and see if there is any way you can avoid so much contact or the use of face masks. It may be that your situation there puts you in the middle of the allergens with no escape and perhaps face masks are not allowed. I think I may have heard of putting vaseline around the nostrils to help reduce or prevent the intake of allergens; it sounds a reasonable idea.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo DI Member Restricted Account Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +43 / 27
    Usually to get you off the anti histamines, a doctor will prescribe a course of steroids.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    If you get allergies when you go there, don't go there!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo DI Member Restricted Account Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +43 / 27
    Vix around the nostrils is good. I'm lucky I just put it on my moustache.It doesn't burn cos it don't touch your skin.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Drugs to Treat Allergy Symptoms

My wife used over the counter nasacourt/flonase prior to allegy shots.

Steroids are highly effective drugs for allergies, but they must be taken regularly, often daily, to be of benefit -- even when you aren't feeling allergy symptoms. In addition, it may take one to two weeks before the full effect of the medicine can be felt.

Some steroids include:

I'd stay away from the oral steroids for long periods of time.

7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    lol Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice. Any other options for work is also in the desert.

I think there will be some questions asked if I went and asked for a syringe and steroids. Trying to avoid going to the doctor.

I will give this a try if I can find some vix/vapor rub.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering drugs online? I see a few websites that claim to do this. Some of them look pretty shady. (Giving 20% off for using bitcoin seems like they are just wanting to make their theft more anonymous.)

8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It could just be that they are avoiding any contact with their Tax authorities. I have purchased online in the past and had no problems but, as I said on another post, those who die are not here to tell you. I would be more concerned ordering online whilst living in PH as I am not sure what the regulations are (although I know you are not in PH at present). Re. another posting about 'Vix' - is that the same as 'Vick'? If so, I think I would find the vapour overpowering over a long period of use and that is why I suggested Vaseline as a less smelly option.

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I use that on my eyelids to keep them from drying out/getting inflamed/getting a nasty rash. But curse the day you forget you have that on your eyelids and you rub your eyes!

There is something about pharmaceutical drugs, online shipping and bitcoin that just doesn't seem right in my head. I have a clearance to maintain.

10. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    There are many steroids that don't need to be injected. I was talking about Prednisone when I mentioned oral steroids.