Dumaguete Info Search

Also leaving the PH

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Mr. Reddit, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Mr. Reddit

Mr. Reddit DI Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 2
    Due to medical reasons, I must return to the US for a procedure that is not done in the PH. My situation is a bit more complicated because, due to the pandemic, I have overstayed my 36 month extension and have had my Memorandum of Reconsideration in the Manila office for over 2 years still waiting for a decision. Moreover, I also have all the application papers for an SRRV ready to be submitted. However, there is one catch. The SRRV application cannot be submitted until the MR is completed.

In the meanwhile, I have not had to pay any fees, and was told by the attorney, that I would have to wait until the MR is decided so that they can calculate the fees. The problem is that I need to go to the US asap and intend to return within a few months. Will the immigration check at the airport prevent me from leaving because I owe the immigration fees, even though they are not calculated yet? This is all very confusing to me. I have offered to prepay, but , no, you can't do that either because they haven't been calculated yet. Anyone have experience with this type of issue? Or was tripped up at the airport due to owing immigration fees? Thanks ahead.

2. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    immigration will simply look at your visa stickers, no emotion needed, simply the computer says no, until you have the stamp that shows all things are in order, you won't be allowed to leave, its that simple

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    Once you are up to date with your visa fees etc. don't forget to get an EEC Exit Clearance Certificate.

The EEC is required by everyone after 6 months in the country. SRRV holders are exempt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'd reach out the US Embassy and say you have an emergency if the procedure is medically necessary. Aren't they supposed to supposed to help American's that are in trouble. It sounds like your issue lies with the Philippines, not you.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not if you have ignored/broken the law (such as overstaying your visa) in a foreign country. The only thing the embassy can/will do is recommend local attorneys and, if you are lucky, check to see if you are being fed while in custody. They will not assist the average American in skirting personal responsibility, nor should they.

6. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Assuming this is a critical operation there are two things:
    1). Memorandum of Reconsideration in the Manila office for over 2 years still waiting for a decision. This sounds like an issue with the Philippines, not the poster. What if they take 10 years?
    2). If I'm an American and it's a medically necessary treatment, the embassy d*mn well better step in when the country I'm in is the issue.

They may not do anything, but it won't be for me not making a big issue for them.

Do you have personal experience here or speculating?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Look up "Bicutan Detention Center" and read some of the horror stories from foreigners that have found their way into that facility. Sorry, but your (our) government doesn't care about you (us). They won't step in unless you work for them, are very well connected...or, I would assume, pay a whole lot of taxes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Looks like a nasty place.

Never hurts to try.

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah, but if you need to lose over 100lbs they pretty much guarantee results.

No it doesn't, but all they are giving you is a list of local attorneys.

10. OP
    OP
    Mr. Reddit

Mr. Reddit DI Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 2
    I have just retained JRC visa consultancy to assist me in this matter, so it should be resolved in the near future.

d