Dumaguete Info Search

Alternate routes sought for bypass road

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by shadow, Feb 2, 2014.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Negros Oriental officials yesterday were hopeful that the construction of the multi-million-peso diversionary road to connect Bacong, Dumaguete City and Sibulan will push through with minimal hitches this year.

The possible alternate routes to ensure that snags do not delay the project were discussed in a meeting among Dumaguete Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria, Sibulan Mayor Emmanuel Diputado, Ricardo Duran of the Department of Public Works and Highways 2 nd Engineering District, and Rep. George Arnaiz (Neg. Or., 2 nd District).

They discussed the ongoing construction, and the acquisition of the road right-of-way from residents, whose properties are within the project area. Some are reportedly opposing the project while others were selling portions of their property at very high costs.

Arnaiz said alternate routes for the Bacong-Dumaguete-Sibulan diversionary road should be identified to avoid having the funds from the national government realigned.

The DPWH began implementing the P50-million road construction in the Dumaguete side of the diversionary road last year, and another P50 million has been allocated for the Sibulan portion this year.

Diputado said a possible alternate route is from Brgy. Camanjac in Dumaguete City through Calabnugan, Ata-Ata, San Antonio, Mainit, and Looc down to the national highway in Sibulan.

He added that the route had been opened when Arnaiz was governor of Negros Oriental almost a decade ago.

Sagarbarria said he is also hopeful of finding an alternate route to minimize the number of structures and private properties that will be affected by the project.

Arnaiz said there is need for cooperation from residents for the project to be successful since this will pave the way for socio-economic-tourism development and will benefit development.

Once the project is well underway, Arnaiz said he will source more funds to complete it as the initial P100 million for Dumaguete and Sibulan is not enough.

Duran said the proposed alternate routes pose less problems compared to the original plan. He said the DPWH will survey the proposed routes next week to determine their feasibility before reporting to their central office.*JFP

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Copperative attitudes?

"Arnaiz said there is need for cooperation from residents for the project to be successful since this will pave the way for socio-economic-tourism development and will benefit development."

If there was cooperation the whole people of the area would benefit as a whole. I have heard of very few instants of cooperation of a few here for the benefit of the many particularly in economic terms. Am I missing something? Is there really a concern for the someone other than their individual self or families here? I understand that economics which focuses on the where the "next meal is coming from" plays a big part in the attitude of personal survival at times. (I have never really been hungry in my life, except when a fast food place has been shut down for repairs, but I have been horny for an hour or so. O-| , so I can understand an selfish attitudes. {we need humor in the serious posts here too} ) I just have not seen a "good for the group" type of mentality here among the citizens very often as a wide spread attitude.

This is not a sarcastic post, but a real question. As I would like to form an attitude that citizens here really are concerned about the whole of the Philippines instead of just their individual economic selves. When it comes to food, I see a lot of sharing and helping among the citizens here, particularly among families. However on a larger scale, it seems the good for group survival mentality is almost a foreign pattern of thought (pun intended) here.

I would like to see some posts which really support examples of the cooperation of individual Filipinos for the citizens as a whole. I would like to have a better feeling myself toward the cooperative attitudes of society here.

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    How long are they going to milk this white elephant bypass project?

4. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Till the elephant stops giving milk and dies of old age?

Larry