Dumaguete Info Search

AMERICAN FIRST TIME PHILIPPINES DRIVERS LICENSE

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by bigdaddy59, Jan 3, 2019.

1. bigdaddy59

bigdaddy59 DI New Member Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    HI
    I'm American,been living in the Philippines Bulacan area since 2016 . I own a car. I'm moving to the Dumaguete area May 1 . My main question how hard is it for a American to get a Philippines driver license in Dumaguete office ? I tried to get my license in my current area,and was turn down,due to new rules in place,(that i must be able to prove i will be in the country,one year from date of application) Not all office in force that rule. I was wondering is Dumaguete office might be a more friendly due to the number of x pats living there. Has any Americans applyed and received there license on the first trip. Keep in mind im not married. I really don't want to get a srrv to prove i will be in country for more than one year. I just want to be legal to drive.
    THANKS
    MARK

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2019
  2. greko

greko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Hi,

The office here is friendly and the waits not too long. Got my US license converted for around 850 PP. Had to have two paper copies of drivers license, passport. Had to take a minimal medical test and drug test given at a office nearby. (My copy of my US drivers license disappeared during the medical/drug test so be sure all your papers are returned.) The whole process took less than two hours. I still have only a paper license. The plastic license is currently taking about 6 months to get. The license is good for 5 years.

The important thing is that if you ever plan to drive a motorcycle your US license needs to be approved for motorcycle. You can get motorcycle added to your US license by taking and passing a weekend riders course at a local motorcycle dealership. There is not a lot of parking downtown and a motorcycle/scooter is much easier here. Make sure that when you get your license here that it includes car/motorcycle.

• Informative Informative x 5
  3. OP
    OP
    bigdaddy59

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    HI Greko
    Thanks for the response.
    If i could ask a little more about getting my first time license in Philippines. # 1 im not married to a filipino,will that make a diffrence in getting my license ? And about motorcycle being much easier,i agree i may just sell my car & get a motorcycle there. Also just found out shipping my car is 20,000 peso oneway Manila to Dumaguete. Since i dont have M/C added on my US license. Must i take a course in Dumaguete ?
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !
    Mark

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It makes no difference if youre married or not. You will probably need take a written test or multiple choice paper which is complete nonsence.
    You could always go to bais and pay 3k for a licence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    Why bais are we talking about a fixer here.

6. OP
    OP
    bigdaddy59

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Only reason why i brought this up in first place,is i tried to get a licence in Bulacan area. AS new rule that the local LTO follow they wont issue a license,in less i can show via my visa,that i will be in philippines longer than 12 months from time of applying. I have been here 3 years .But i found all office dont follow all the same LTO rules. I know its crazy. I just want to drive legal.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not really, they are just easier to deal with and are a bit more relaxed with the rules.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1