Dumaguete Info Search

American Found Dead - John Michael Imler

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by SteveB, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I read the following in today's Visayan Daily Star. Do any of you know him:

An American national was found dead in a rented house in Barangay Upper Cantil-e, Dumaguete City, yesterday.

Dumaguete City police director, Supt. James Goforth, identified the fatality as John Michael Imler, 46, of Oklahoma City, USA, who was found face down in his bed by responding cops.

Goforth said the cause of death is still being determined. He added that Imler may have suffered a cardiac arrest, and it took several persons to carry the remains of the American as he was a big man.

Initial investigation showed that Imler had lived alone in the rented place owned by Carmelita Bael since Nov. 2, 2012. He was invited to a party around noon yesterday, and when he failed to show up, somebody went to his place to check.

2. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Thanks for posting Steve. Quite a shock. John was a DI Forum member - okcat69 - and posted some funnies just a few days ago.

I have known John for a number of years. He and his girlfriend Nakale lived in the apartment above me when we both lived in Combado. John and Nakale left Dumaguete last year to go to Surigao where John was paying for her to go through college. Nakale is from the Dinagat Islands. He returned to Dumaguete at the end of October as he prefered it here, and it was planned that Nakale would visit every month until she finished her college course, and then move here to be with him. I had planned to visit him this weekend. John was a large man, generous, charismatic and good company, who occassionally walked with a slight limp due to a serious auto accident while doing long service in the U.S. military.

RIP John, you always were a big guy, but you'll still get through those gates.

I will liaise with the PNP to ensure that the details are passed to the U.S. Embassy, and onwards to his family in the U.S.

Roger.

3. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    What is more surprising is that only a few days ago he asked me to become his friend here on the forum, I have never even meet him...

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    May he rest in peace.

5. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I spent an hour late last night (28th Nov) with the PNP to clarify the details.

John was found in bed by concerned neighbours who called at his house after he failed to appear at a noon-time gathering. It appears that he died in his sleep and there was clearly no evidence of foul play or suspicious circumstances. His body was taken to Silliman Medical Centre where an autopsy was performed, and the cause of death was certified as a heart attack. The PNP are trying to locate his girlfriend to break the news, and the U.S. embassy has been informed.

Roger

6. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Didn't know him but R.I.P. big guy

7. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    A couple of weeks ago he and I spent about 5 hours together just getting to know each other. We made that instant connection of one veteran to another. What little I learned of him that day, left me feeling that I would like to know him better. Even though we had only meet once I am saddened at his death at such a young age.

8. elvs74

elvs74 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is the Guy i Posted Yesterday defferent John who was reported before,,, It was hes
    Girlfriend who called the landlady to check John coz hes not answering her call, John's Body is in Garden of Saints Now,,
    We will be working on hes papers and hopelly John will send home soon so Nakale can go home,, She is really in need of help now.