Dumaguete Info Search

Passports Americans may loose passport

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by alex, Nov 22, 2015.

1. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    [​IMG]
    Americans Must Pay Income Tax or Face Loosing Their Passport
    Posted on November 22, 2015 by Timothy Walker0 Comments
    [​IMG]
    Americans Must Pay Income Tax or Face Loosing Their Passport – Philippines Lifestyle - Philippines Lifestyle

WASHINGTON D.C. – Congress will enact a new law denying or revoking passports of US citizens who have not paid their taxes.

The law is aimed at denying Americans who have serious tax debts and have at least $50,000 (USD) in unpaid federal taxes, including penalties and interest which would be adjusted for inflation.

The new law is expected to take effect in January of 2016 – the State Department said it will block Americans with “seriously delinquent” tax debt from receiving new passports and will be allowed to rescind existing passports of those who fall into that category.

A list of those taxpayers who will be immediately affected will be compiled by the Internal Revenue Service using the $50,000 threshold as a marker.

The rescinding or renewal of a passport would also apply if the taxpayer is subject to a lien which advises creditors of a debt owed to the IRS.

The same holds true for those who are under a levy by the IRS, where the government has the right to seize assets.

The same ‘does not apply’ if the taxpayer is in the process of trying or attempting to resolve his tax debt with the IRS – those paying installment payments, the taxpayer is contesting the debt, or the taxpayer is in court attempting to resolve the issue at hand.

The measure to bring American tax payers to their knees is expected to raise nearly $400-million dollars over the first 10 years of its implementation.

In 2014 alone, the IRS sent out almost 855,000 notices to US citizens abroad. How many were actually ‘undelivered’ is unknown.

Those behind the bill remind US citizens the importance of their passport when registering children in schools, registering in a hotel, opening a bank account among many other things. However, many of those living in the Philippines realize that the use for a passport is minimal, and many of the rules in foreign countries do not apply here.

No doubt, the new rule will have many Americans living in the Philippines, and numerous other Asian countries in a predicament.

Many Americans live in Asian countries in poverty conditions, living day today, or month to month on retirement, military and other type social benefits from the government.

If anything, many would be hard pressed to even worry at all about a law that controls their passport when in fact they are not or have not been on the ‘radar’ for years, even decades at best.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :jawdrop: Sort of changes things a little on some answers on another thread.:wideyed:

Jack

3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I often wonder if I'm wasting my time here when I could be living in a country where I could possibly receive a citizenship just from "@ss in seat" time.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I wonder what the percentage of politician that signed that bill have cheated on their taxes or hid money overseas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    The US expects 'friendly' foreign country to deport its citizens whose passports are cancelled, the Philippines is prompt to comply.

It's apparent that they also view Americans abroad as somewhat traitorous for abandoning the 'Homeland.'

6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Called snowbirds.... those whom seek retirement benefits from their home Countries.... while living abroad! Some Countries are looking at stopping it.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If you have spent a lifetime paying your taxes and are now collecting retirement it's none of their business where you receive it as long as you are filing your taxes every year. These politicians (read: traitorous scum), both Republitards and Dumbocrats, should be the one's being hunted down, arrested, passports stripped from them and then deported (and since they don't have a passport and no country will take them they can be thrown out of a plane somewhere in the middle of international waters).....along with all their family to prevent them every holding office as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, agree. Canada and Australia already do to some extent!

9. Monty44

Monty44 DI Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    When I arrived here, my monthly payment was 12% short for 3 months! It seems I had forgotten to clear up all my kids school loans before I left! Since I did not know I had any loans against me I inquired! They stated, all the way from virginia, that these loans are due before you retire! If you had cosigned your kids loan agreement that is!! Well I had to pay off that loan before I could receive my full allotment! They will only take a maximum withholding of 15% ! And that depends on how much is owed!! If you do not owe any taxes or school loans or alimony!! Then you should not have to worry!! At least till they think up some other screwball way to screw us!!

Edited by Administrator to remove all caps.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  10. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Yes, My wife and I each receive a retirement pension from both Australia and New Zealand (each country contributing a share of one pension, not a full pension from each country) and we have to step on Australian soil once every 26 weeks in order for that to continue. And we are not sure as to the NZ requirements...

• Informative Informative x 1