Dumaguete Info Search

And my complaint for today is.....

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ronv8917, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I know that labor is very cheap here. I realize that the locals work very long and hard for almost no money.

So the crew comes to build my new wall around my yard. They remove the old fence and stack it in the yard. They dig down about 12" and pour a footing. They build a really beautiful wall smoothed over with concrete.

But, they fence they removed is left for me to dispose of. The piles of dirt are left for me to move. The rocks and such from construction are left for me to have hauled off.

Hummmm.....

2. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Oh, I forgot to mention the biggest thing of all. We all know that concrete is mixed "wherever". So they spent 10 days mixing concrete in the same spot in the yard. Each day the spot getting bigger AND thicker. Now I have an un-smooth concrete circle in the yard that is maybe 4" thick that will have to be broke up and hauled away by me.

3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Situation normal

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    So you got a "really beautiful wall smoothed over with concrete", what was the complaint again?

:wink:

Larry

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :wink:Welcome back to PI reality Ron! Normally, they will have resold the temporary Fencing, was yours Sub Standard, WOW! Now, there is a Thought :p ( Kidding, ONLY Kidding Ron )

Jack P.:eek:

6. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Shadow.....I guess your right, and I do appreciate the cost that the owners spent on the fence. Oh well, clean-up time.

JP - the old fence needed a lot of work just to come up to "sub-standard". It was pure trash. In fact, it was probably sub-standard the day it was built. Burning will work.

On the subject..... No dump truck - gravel shoveled by hand. No cement mixer - all done on ground by hand. Hard work for 8 hours a day. And Mae said they make about 250 pesos a day. d*mn.....

7. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Like u say labor is cheap. just hire a clean up crew.

8. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Absolutely right. I'm doing about 35% of it and I'm paying a cousin of my wife 200 pesos a day, plus lunch and dinner, to do the rest. He's 17 and not working. And he is a good worker. Plus, I'm in no hurry I guess.

9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Cricky mate, I have had a three story house built by hand, no machine and that includes a 40 foot water well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.