Dumaguete Info Search

Another oddity out front of our house

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by Jung, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jung

Jung DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Very shallow right in front of the house at about 3 to 4 meters we saw this strange looking creature. A nice little shrip was crawling over it cleaning it with such bravery. I would never being that small approach something looking like that!

Attached Files:

2. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You AMAZE me Outcast , perhaps when I am settled in Dumaguete we can meet some day and you can show me around . Are you a professional photographer or perhaps want to become one ? What I see here is most unusuall and rare BUT HIGHLY DANGEROUS as well. I used to have one of these creatures myself , that is some 31 years ago. The Family of Coelenterata has some strange appearing creatus within it . Manily it consists out of two well known groups , namely Sea Anemones and Jelly Fish . HOWEVER. Some ( very few only) Jelly Fish live their entire live Sessile . That meens although they can move thrue the water like jellyfish , by meens of pulsation movements , but they prefer to settled in sandy bottom , as if they were Sea Anemone. The diffence is that they live soly on cathing fish , While most anemones trive on Zooxanthelae algae within their own bodies. having this said. Your picture is the CNIDOPUS VERATOR. A sesile living jellyfish , resembling a Sea anemone . To cut a very long story short, if you got stung on your palm of your hand for instance . It will leave a mark same as that of pure Muriatic Acid. If the contact time is longer it can even burn a hole in your hand. Believe it , or not ... One other kind I know of and less rare is the pure white ACTINODENDRON PLUMOSUM . just as this one BAD NEWS !! The shrimp is once again the Periclimenis petersoni .
    I sure hope that you will be able to find time to give all of us here more of your beautiful pictures. I am sure everybody loves them.

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    that one stumped me ... at first i was thinking echinoderm but then saw the 6 part and not 5 part radial symmetry - I figured it was in a lesser phyla at that point and didnt even consider it could be a cnidarian
    my profession has me looking from an ecological perspective and sometimes I cant see the trees for looking at the forest, to reverse an expression

4. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    To my knowledge it is either rare or not easy to find.Same as you I was amazed after so many years. At that time , some over 30 years ago , I made a small study on the animal. It has according to my tests some kind of basic intelligence as well. Namely it can find its prey and simply " lasso" it in by extending the tentacles even twice as long.moving ANY direction the prey (fish) can be found. In other words there is NO NEED to have the prey WITHIN REACH.... The " foot " is unlike the giant muscle of the sessile Anemones , and very soft and not flat but round shaped. Thus if moving and "swimming" thru the water indeed a perfect Jellyfish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.