Dumaguete Info Search

Pets & Animals Another win for online shopping - Dog Collars

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Rye83, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wasted time and gas trying to find a prong training collar (something like a Herm Sprenger) at local pet shops. Tried 7 shops, all had the same cheap Chinese collars with garbage material/plastic/metal and clasps that break after a couple months...or even a couple uses. The employees looked at me like I was asking for an ancient alien artifact, on the third store I didn't even bother talking to the staff and just walked out after seeing what was (or wasn't) on the shelves.

Found a legit Herm Sprenger collar on lazada in about 30 seconds. I'm not sure why I continue to waste my time looking at local shops. I guess I wanted to get hands on a product to feel if it was durable but couldn't even find a cheap Chinese knockoff and any of the stores. I should have known better. What I would have saved in shipping fees was lost in petrol and my sanity.

2. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Well, actually no surprise nobody in Dunaguete has a sprenger collar for sale nor even knows what this means. Because that's probably the last thing a Filipino would buy or need.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

3. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Delete

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm quite sure I've seen a prong collar in Dumaguete before. Obviously I didn't use a brand name when asking, I gave a description and had my gf translate for good measure. Both of us got the same look and then were shown leashes, not collars. :shifty: There are a lot of high priced pure bred dogs in Dumaguete as well. A lot of locals have the means to buy and breed these dogs, they have the means to buy a decent collar.

5. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Training a dog and using the right methods does not need the use of a prong training collar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    ding, ding, ding........... and it begins.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is a tool that can be used responsibly. Some training methods (like training methods used in coordination with animals and humans the dog is unfamiliar with) are not possible during a pandemic, I'm not increasing my chances of getting quarantined to train a dog. Lunging at humans and other animals we come across out of excitement is unacceptable and will come to an end. He is a bit stupid and thinks everyone just wants to love him, even willing to jump in the middle of a pack of angry/fearful local dogs. I'm all for positive reinforcement and that is always preferred, but sometimes negative training techniques are justified.

If you can suggest another method (that doesn't involve bringing other humans or animals into the equation) to break this behavior I'm all ears. I do have a female husky on the way, I'm hoping supervised interactions with another dog will teach him some boundaries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    I had never heard of a herm sprenger before so i googled it and i have never seen them here.
    We used choker chains for our dogs, the ones we got from handyman and woof woof were quite good quality.

Choke-Dog-Collar-of-Chrome-Plated-Steel-HS1_LRG.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't like choker collars as they put pressure on the wind pipe. The Sprenger collar doesn't do this when fitted properly.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    A good online pet place is Bow and Wow, located in Manila, had very good experience. Also have a store in Cebu... Not associated with BowWow food.

• Informative Informative x 3