Dumaguete Info Search

Trades & Labor Any good rain gutter guys to recommend?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Gabrielle_K, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    This rental house has gutters galore but one section can't handle the heavy rains and it's washing over. I'd need some sort of splash barrier installed.

Not a terribly complicated thing to do

There may be clog in the down pipe but there's a ton of water coming off our giant roof and that 2 inch or so pipe may not be up to the heavy stuff

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    We have just changed ours to 4" down pipes and it has done the job. As you say, Not that complicated a Job and I would think most Builders here? could do it. My man is busy now till well after Christmas so I can't help any where other than suggest a Larger Down Pipe:wink:

3. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    I climbed and had a look. There was less than a handful of loosely packed grass at the entrance to the down pipe. We'll see if that was enough to cause the tiny waterfall over the edge of the gutter. This isn't something that's been happening all along so maybe that little bit's the culprit.

4. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    What happens to the water after it enters this 90deg pipe? I guess there's some plumbing heading into the ground somewhere but I've no clue.

In tonight's heavy rain burst there was just a little water dribbling over the edge above the 90deg; but some of it runs backwards onto the eave wood and is having a bad effect on that. I think if I can insert a blocking plate in that squarish U shaped opening above the 90deg it'll block the little bit of overflow..

Attached Files:

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Sounds like you have a blockage my friend, it is time to get someone up there to Have a Clean up. For me, ours runs into catch basins and we have a Grey water tank at the bottom of the garden, in Fact we have 4 grey water tanks 6x6x4.5 x 3 and a Small one at the Dirty kitchen but then we knew the problems that can happen before we Built.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I agree with Jack, you probably are blocked at that 90 and I assume there is another 90 in the concrete that sends water down to likely a catch basin system, with maybe another 90 into the catch basin.

You can pick up a snake to try and clean things out, though the one I picked months ago was a cheap manual operated one...would have given quite a bit to have a solid one you could hook to a drill but could not find one.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    I think there's a basic design problem if nothing else.

A photo from above shows the floor of the roof paneling extending almost completely past the downspout ( it's worse than the pic shows) which would have the water banging off the front with the resultant splashing over.

I did put some drain cleaner in the pipe-it worked very well in the shower drain so...

I think I'll affix a block off plate over the rectangular opening in the second photo which will stop the splashing over. roofpic5.JPG roofpic11.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1