Dumaguete Info Search

Any quiet study area?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Chingon, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Chingon

Chingon DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +53 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hello,

i was wondering if you know about any place where students can go to study along the night. I have seen some of them on the 24hours open 7Eleven, Ministop, Dunking Donnuts, Jollibee,etc...but those places doesnt suit nice with my idea of a good study place.

Thanks

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You're asking about a public place staying open 24/7 with no activity. Such place should shut down as it's pointless to pay even the electric.

Open early is a decent alternative though. Most of the resto places are relatively tame before 11. The cafe in Bethel opens at 5:30 am. That's the earliest non 24/7 that I'm aware of.

The McDs closer to Portal West has sectioned off areas. Late at night and early in the morning those areas are closed. If you sweet talked the manager, you could probably slip in and study undisturbed.

During the day you could check out the library. I have never been inside, but it's next to the fire station.

3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Very few places where they would have late night business to stay open for a 24 hour thing and I'd assume the idea is someplace with wifi as well. You'd be looking at McD and the odd coffee shop like Bo's on the boulevard if they are open 24 hours which I have no clue on.

4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Sorry but I think the places you mentioned are "it" for night. It is what it is. Them or home, I've heard that some homes are quiet and suitable for studying in.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    For what it is worth here, My Daughter (17) does her studying after Dinner in here own Room, as with many Homes here unless we are out we go to bed Early and she has the place normally to herself. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    This topic hits on a pet peeve of mine. There is a nice 'study' place called Infinitea, on the boulevard. But its supposed to be a nice place for people to go and have a drink and a snack. Instead, its taken over every evening by students who will buy one drink and then sit there with the free wifi all evening. It means that paying customers are SOL . I do wonder why the business owners do not charge a minimum consumable amount for each table so the freeloaders will move along. Its up to the students or the parents of the students to provide a study place or to pay a fee for someone else to provide it.

Of course, if there are enough students willing to pay for a quiet, all night, study place then maybe it would be a good business idea for someone? Is the opening poster willing to pay for a quiet study area?

7. OP
    OP
    Chingon

Chingon DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +53 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Yes, it could be a good business. Places like that are very successfull in other cities like Cagayan. And here we have a LOT of students without a good study place...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm , have we forgotten where we are?

9. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Don't mean to be trite here, but surely the Universities have libraries open 24-7. If not, time to demand them. Most UK/ME Uni's I've taught in do...but a world of difference between here n there I suppose....

10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I suggest we not demand anything. If I were looking to import anything from the UK to the Philippines, study hall would be way down the list.