Dumaguete Info Search

Any serious/standard musicians out there? :D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jopliniac, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jopliniac

Jopliniac DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey buddies, tourists and locals from wherever-land you came from.
    Dumaguete has been called a "melting pot" because of its unique diversity of people coming from all different lands and culture. But, one thing i've noticed, there's not much SERIOUS music going around, or at least, they are not heard out.

I am a classical pianist (actually, just an amateur and still on school as an undergraduate degree), and aside from my buddies in my college, i do not anyone outside my circle who is into classical music. I mean, it tests how much diversified really Dumaguete is. But i guess when it comes to issues like this, it's kind of "uh, not really" sort of thing.

Well, maybe it's just the culture of the Philippines itself.
    I am not from Dumaguete btw, and i have been to places around the country and when you say music to any average Filipino, they would think of pop songs, and rock bands and pop songs and rock bands, and more singing, and singing, and KTV and whatever. It's very limited to just like that and it is disheartening, in a way, that most of my fellow countrymen do not know about the so-called "serious music thing". Well, i know it's NOT really an oriental culture or say Asian, or say a Pacific Islander culture, BUT we do have our music that can be called "classical" and is equivalent to the Western Aria, and it's called "Kundiman", a ballade type of song, usually speaking of patriotism and love, speaking of hopelessness at first, eminent by using the minor mode of the first part then shifts into a major mode which speaks of hope and all the good attributes you can name.

Well, anyone up for a talk about matters like these, i would be very happy discussing it with you.
    So yup, chat you around! :D

2. filmdude

filmdude Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The one thing I find anoying is when you go somewhere where there is live music the filipinos sit and talk and never seem to pay attention to the musicians. It makes me crazy. I have performed all over the world but I gave up on the idea of just playing in a club around here for fun when I saw how they treated the performers.

3. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Filmguy, they have the same disrespect and lack of manners in a movie theater texting and talking the entire time...

Don't take it personal, they just don't have anyone but themselves in mind

4. OP
    OP
    Jopliniac

Jopliniac DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, so true.
    But i guess, you're referring to discos, clubs or the places fronting the boulevard?
    Well, yeah, informal places would be like that.

But if you are in recitals concerts (piano, choral group, ensemble, opera, ballet, etc), or in performances in Auditoriums, your audience will be much much more attentive and almost never talk. (although it is inevitable that there will always be people who are otherwise, and could be very annoying). Yeah, i also have my personal share with this, and the feeling of awkwardness after performing before a very noisy audience is very disheartening.

What do you play sir? And what genre?
    Silliman sometimes caters professional concerts inside the Auditorium. I'll keep you posted if there are upcoming shows, you might be interested to watch.

5. filmdude

filmdude Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am just an ol country boy who used to play rock and roll now they call that same music country. I love bluegrass and play guitar banjo mandolin and bass. I will pretty much play any music I am capable of and love the long hair stuff as well.

6. elvs74

elvs74 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To Jopliniac and filmguy,,,, i wish my husband is here now..he will love to play music with you both.
    Hes a band member before and he always said how he wish he can play music here.:smile:

7. OP
    OP
    Jopliniac

Jopliniac DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To Filmguy:

rock and roll? cool.. but i am not really a fan of rock and roll.. :DD
    Country Music? WOW! I love COUNTRY MUSIC! yep! :D
    But couldn't play one. I'm just really into classical stuffs when it comes to piano. I could play pop songs, only if i have a music sheet in front of me since i could just easily read it off, but also, i am not really into that. :D

To elvs:

oh, you're husband isn't here? working overseas? Well, when he comes, he could be playing here in the PH again. :D
    But not sure about me, maybe with filmguy! :D
    I'm so bad playing with "bands" (like rockbands) because as i have written earlier, i am not into pop songs, or say just songs. (except the Arias, kundimans, etc.) :D

8. Sinaphatra

Sinaphatra One Hit Wonder?

Musician & Cook
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I'm a musician and I've been doing gigs here in Dumaguete for almost 7 years and I have to say the people here have no appreciation for live and original music although not all. To even get barely noticed you'd have to do pop covers and that just kills any creative artist in the city. It sucks really.

9. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    I must agree. octogon in banilad has open mic sessions on wednesday nights, someitmes some good talent there. just for fun.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. DS3

DS3 DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would just like to get together with some of you guys and have jam sessions...not really for public, but that's ok too. I guess sorta a "self-entertaining" thing. I am more into the "create a song" venture...but don't mind playing some other songs as well. Keep me info'd on it as I want to know too. Right now, just composing on an ipad/computer, play a little keyboards and bass ok. Peace

• Like Like x 1