Dumaguete Info Search

Any swimming pool experts out there?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by expatron, Jan 25, 2013.

1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have a white cement pool that I'm draining for some small maintenance. While empty I'm thinking of painting it with a light blue paint that will look better than white.

Has anyone done this? What is the best primer and paint? I have my own ideas but would like to hear others.

Thanks, Ron

2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Yeah, i think I'am a expert after designing and building my pool and installing pump ect. myself.
    Painted the pool (light blue) with "Davies" pool paint their new product what comes with a specific primer.
    After a year the paint started to bubble and came of in places. With the help of Gilbert Matiao, where I bought the paint, and the DTI Davies refunded the paint, thinner. labor for painting and labor for removing the paint. I tiled the pool and asking myself why I did not do this in the first place. Sooo much nicer and soo much easier to maintain. Davies discontinued the product. If you insist on painting I 'm afraid you have to import the paint. This may be more expensive than tiling.
    Good luck

3. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Thank you, I have built 2 pools myself, 1 tiled and my own white cement, because the deep end of the pool is at ground level and 2 sides are filled up to just above the house level, the reason I didn't tile it is to save the weight and not risk any settling. That's also why I'm thinking about paint, but I suspected exactly what you said about no pool paint available here.
    Thank you... Ron

4. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Did you pressure wash and acid wash your pool before painting?

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I wondered about how it was prepped myself. I know nothing about pools, but know a little about paint. Usually bubbling is an application or preparation error of one sort or another, not a defective product.

Larry

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Exactly

I have said this before...New cement/concrete must be left to cure at least 4 weeks, then primed with cement/concrete sealer.
    then and only then, paint it what ever colour you like. make sure the primer is bone dry. I see these house's with paint blistering off.
    some goes with swimming pools.

7. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I agree with Larry. Poor preparation is usually the cause of a poor paint finish. Concrete contains lots of lime. You need to let it cure before painting. Also, if you do not wash it with a concrete neutralizer, you can be guaranteed that your paint will be peeling off within a year. It will burn from the inside out and you will find a white powdery residue where the paint has peeled. Follow the instructions for the neutraliser, apply liberally, let dry, brush off the residue. I would repeat this twice and finish off with a last rinse before priming. Be sure to read the documentation from the manufacturer. Davies is still selling pool paint (maybe not here though). If you use it, be sure to use the correct primer, DAVIES 42-3000 CRB White Primer, two coats of pool paint, then finish off with DAVIES Eposeal Epoxy Penetrating Sealer, letting each coat dry thoroughly.

However, if settling wasn't an issue, tiles would be a much more durable finish. I have seen several pools around here that are tiled and they are not sinking. Ocean 24 Resort in Valencia is a good example, a pool over 40 feet long, all tiles.

8. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have painted several boat's (above the water line) with 2 part automotive urethane paint and found it worked much better than marine paint, especially epoxy paints because they don't have the UV inhibitors and would turn chalky.The urethane paint lasted years longer, it resisted chipping and maintained a better shine, but I can't find any info if it will hold up underwater.

I would be tempted to try it, but if I'm wrong it will be a disaster!

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Good luck with getting anything outside here "bone dry".

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    you have more chance over there than here. lol