Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Anyone going to UK before end of July?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Notmyrealname, May 17, 2023.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    If anyone is going to the UK before the end of July then I have 45 First Class postage stamps FOR FREE! These become obsolete from 1st August but can be swapped for new ones (which are now barcoded) - a member's family in the UK might be able to do that before 31st July.

The recent price of a First Class stamp is now £1.10 so these stamps are worth £49.50. I also have two Eden Complex entry tickets (they have no expiry date but are about 20 years' old). Anyone who wants all of these can meet my wife downtown.

I don't want Royal Mail benefitting and it's too expensive to send them back to the UK by post.

• Like Like x 2
  2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Sorry to say would be invalid now, I first visited about six years ago, OAP rate was £12.50p, two summer's ago returned to find it had doubled in price and no concessions.
    However you can use it as often as one wishes for 12 months. ( they have obviously worked out that 90% of visitors are one off tourists )

3. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    NMRN, a news item this week said that stamps that were fake were being offered on Amazon and Ebay.
    Apparently its hard to detect the difference by looking at them, they are offered as geniune and highly discounted.
    So dont be tempted to buy in future, that is, if theres a "Royal Mail" still existing!
    Royal Mail also face a massive court case over a faulty computer system that saw Hundreds of Post Masters wrongly accused of fraud and some actually thrown in jail!!! so that's life in the UK these days.

4. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thanks - but I am actually trying to give mine away, not buy some more. And mine are over 8 years old (still valid) and bought from a Post Office.

I'm aware of those cases you write about and it was the one of the greatest miscarriages of 'justice' ever - they knew their IT systems were going wrong and they must have seen a pattern when so many post office managers suddenly appeared to be fiddling the books (as if there was a virus infecting them all!). But they still went ahead and jailed them.

Read this week a guy who sold subscriptions to view live football (in the UK it cannot be shown live, so that fans still attend football matches in person) was jailed for 11 years - that's a joke when the same day I read about another man who stabbed someone repeatedly in the face getting 3 years.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    That's the UK today, there was also a time when 99% of our Police force could be trusted as Upright citizens.
    Truth is that greed and corruption has taken over our society as never before, its time to stamp it out! ( pun intended )

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    Hey JB - IMO your statement is too much of a generalisation. That's definitely not the UK today. Maybe 99% of the regional (local) police forces could be trusted but most of the MetPol were bent for many years, and hence under the microscope - but nothing was done, and you're right - it needs stamping out - or do we end up assimilating the US/Philippine police forces? God forbid!

• Agree Agree x 1