Dumaguete Info Search

Anyone homeschooling with Charlotte Mason Method?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by JoaPaul, Jun 11, 2020.

1. JoaPaul

JoaPaul DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Wondering if there is anyone in Dumaguete and surrounding municipalities using Charlotte Mason home school? Having a son (8) and will most probably go this way. Thanks Joa

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Very interesting - never heard of her before.

I note her teaching is in part Bible-based, which may put some off, although some of the morals taught within cannot be disputed as a basis for education in the broadest sense (e.g 'though shalt not kill' is pretty good advice!).

Good luck with your home schooling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 52
    most of the online teaching companies is just BIBLE EATING BRAIN WASHING and IMHO to be avoided unless you want a dumb catholic to carry on the legacy, to home school in the philippines you are perfectly entitled to do it yourself, you can do the final year exam here in Dgte at the Dep.Ed in November you only have to sit 5 subjects, pass those and you have your clearance to move on to the next grade (teach the 5 subjects that are compulsory), then you are free to teach your child as you see fit (that is where the parent can exploit all their world and life experiences on the child), why would you expect a filipino teacher to teach about foreign countries, they have never been to, or teach them about money they never had, or that science is valid, and most things dont happen because some entity that cant be proven existed or ever existed is the be all and end all, teach your kids what values you consider that will stand to them, when we are long gone, do you want a child that can think for themselves, work for themselves, make a difference in someones life, be independent or do you want a good catholic uncontracted shelfstocker , Dumaguete and the Philippines will be awash with that type of servant if they keep with the no school/no vaccine policy, and to finish this rant, this is no country to be in if you dont have some cash behind you, im sure its most peoples on this forums fear, not letting enough behind for those that stay behind, when we get boxed off. DONT LET YOUR CHILDS EDUCATION BE DECIDED BY OTHERS

• Like Like x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    It will indeed be interesting and challenging for parents to engage in the teachings and instilling disciplines to make whatever August 24 Deped school system work. I expect a combination of work sheets (works well for math) and some texts and some online options for those that have it, brownouts and slow internet speed notwithstanding.

5. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    I am somewhat familiar with Charlotte Mason.

My personal opinion is that is dated, the coursework/ books are boring, it's far too focused on religion rather than facts (even the history/ geography lessons surreptitiously include religious messages), and all rather dull.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to avoid it like the plague!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    The purpose of life....." Whether we are rich or poor, educated or uneducated, whatever our nationality, colour, social status or idealogy may be, the purpose of our lives is to be happy."
    Dalai Lama........

Each to their own set of values, I know which ones I would choose. DON'T LET YOUR MIND BE TROUBLED BY OTHERS

• Like Like x 2
  7. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Really, How about the purpose of life is to become the best person you can be, sometimes that process will not be a happy one... just saying

8. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Really? How about the purpose of life is to become the best person you can be, sometimes that process will not be a happy one... just saying

9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Thank you for your opinion.

Is there any source of curriculum that you recommend? It does not have to be home school. Curriculum guidance for teachers would be appreciated too.

Thank you.

10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Anyone with a piece of brain can teach about things they have not experienced - no need to have personally fought in the American War of Independence to know we (Brits) lost or to have a child to teach reproduction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1