Dumaguete Info Search

anyone making tortillas?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by kelpguy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    anyone making tortillas?
    for corn tortillas, where'd you get the slacked lime and corn flour?

for flour (wheat) tortillas, where'd you get the flour?

thanks...
    norm : ))~

2. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yup!! Shipped Masa Harina (for corn tortillas) from the states in a balikbayan box. I would like to find slacked lime and learn to make my own, too....let me know if you have any luck, and if it something that needs to be done in bulk, I might be willing to go halvsies......

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Sometimes Alber's masa (5 lbs.) is available in Ayala supermarket Cebu, the only place I have ever seen it in the Philippines. We have a 20 lb. bag shipped to us every other year or so from the US. You can buy all purpose flour anywhere, and they have a selection of various flours at Yanyan downtown.

Larry

4. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    thanks larry...
    i checked at hypermart and they only had cake flour, it was so white it looked like refined salt!
    how do you keep the masa from going bad, freeze it?

5. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i have a 5# bag of masa harina coming from the states but i'd rather make my own. there's a bunch of videos on youtube, search masa harina, nixtamalization, tortillas from scratch, etc. the slaked lime should be available here, i was hoping someone found it and could save me the hunt : )
    and according to my gf, you can have most anything ground to your consistency tho i don't know where yet or where to get the corn.

as far as going halvsies, i'd go in for a ''portion'' but i don't presently have much freezer space.

i see slaked lime for sale on amazon but i wonder about shipping it in a bb box.

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I make white flour tortillas. The all propose flour in most stores is called general flour. I tried cake flour once and it was a total disaster.
    Ron

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We keep our masa in ziplock bags in the chiller section of our ref. We buy all purpose flour from the bakery down the street, they sell it cheaper than we can buy it in the grocery stores.

They make slaked lime in Siaton, not sure where though. You can get anything ground on Colon, just up from the market.

Larry

8. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    thanks larry, you're da man...

i went to yan yan today for the 1st time, interesting store! i got a bag of 3rd class flour which my gf says is the same as all purpose (well, then, why do they also sell all purpose flour?) i dunno, they have toilet tissue in at least 3 different locations and flour in at least 2! must be a marketing scheme? they must have the biggest selection of food dyes and plastic bags in the world...

so when are you gonna start marketing your salsa? : )

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Yah, they will have a lot of room for new products when they ban plastic bags here. Today we sold 1 gallon and 7 half-liter tubs of salsa, making more now, will be ready tomorrow am.

Larry

10. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Any contacts here from Siaton that could find out who makes slaked lime??