Dumaguete Info Search

AO-AHS-2008-13 Rules and Regulations for the Use and Operation of Motorcycles on ....

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by c_rymz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I would have never known that Administrative Order AHS-2008-13 --- Rules and Regulations for the Use and Operation of Motorcycles on Highways existed until I was apprehended by the local police of Sibulan driving without side mirrors.

I am for the implementation of the rules governing highway management to protect the driving and the riding public... however, some issues need to be addressed when apprehending motorist. Of course, each of us have our own story to share. But mine is one of ignorance of the law... a law, which I'm sure all of you will agree, not known to us (lack of dissemination to the public).

I was apprehended around 5 pm.. In a rush to see my friend, I gave my driver's license to the police officer. Anyways, while he was writing on the pad of paper, we didn't say anything towards each other. I was thinking that he is writing my traffic citation for no side mirrors and then I will be free to leave. In less than 3 mins, he was done. He remove a piece of paper from the wad he was carrying with him, folded it, and handed it to me. And i hastily stuffed it in my bag, said thank you, and left. I am not the complaining type since I know the routine, my only brother being a police officer himself.

Upon reaching my friend's house, I unfolded the pink paper, read it, and placed it in my wallet. At night time, back in Dumaguete, I went to send money at the western office union downtown. The western union agent asked for an ID, so i looked for my driver's license and it wasn't there. I thought of the police officer that apprehended me that afternoon, and I immediately went home to have my brother check the pink paper.

I was given the information that I was given a TOP (temporary operator's permit) and that my driver's license is to be redeemed at the LTO office. At that time, I do not know the amount I need to pay and who to look for in LTO. What a hassle. So I came to LTO Friday, the day after I was apprehended, and was told to come back on Monday. Another waste of time since I freed Friday to redeem my driver's license.

The point of the matter is this: THE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THIS ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER and its provisions. I have been driving a motorcycle since I was 18... now, im 31... and still i have never known this. So what must be done?
    what is the antidote for IGNORANCE? hmmmm... EDUCATION... LTO should strongly reach out to the masses.. they should have a functioning website where we can see updates on the traffic laws.

Also, with all due respect to the police officers, they should know how to explain to the offending driver the violation committed and its sanctions...

READ ON... I HAVE ATTACHED THE FULL COPY OF THIS ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER. i hope it helps :smile:

Attached Files:

2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    The point of the matter is this: THE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THIS ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER and its provisions. I have been driving a motorcycle since I was 18... now, im 31... and still i have never known this. So what must be done?
    what is the antidote for IGNORANCE? hmmmm... EDUCATION... LTO should strongly reach out to the masses.. they should have a functioning website where we can see updates on the traffic laws.

Also, with all due respect to the police officers, they should know how to explain to the offending driver the violation committed and its sanctions...

I feel your pain but now you may thank the LTO in person for making things so easy for you to get a drivers license in the first place.
    When you apply for a "Student Permit" you should have been given a booklet outlining the law and basic driving rules, and a written test which is more than just a trip to the cashier..O-|

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Whilst I can't say too much about your current problem, not having the slightest clue as to the context of the order, I can just say that a lot of motor bike users just think mirrors are not cool.( this is the world over I might add) i know that we are in the Philippines but i am sure there is a law, that we in the West call construction and use. When you buy a motorbike or car, it will have passed strict rules laid down to make it safe and proper to sell in the PI for this reason the ICC sticker is Important to the crash helmet issued from the DTI. by removing the mirrors, not only have you restricted and compromised your safety but you have broken a law pertaining to the correct equipment on the Bike. However this was your Choice so now you pay, I found this interesting web page that might be of use to you and anyone else interested I feel it gives the main day to day law breaking and it's Fines on appreciation at check points.

I Hope it helps others here. C_rymz I think that this should be a learning Curve for all of us.They say Ignorance of the law is NO excuse, seems on this occasion they could be right. I remember Rhoodys tale, of fined for riding in Sandals. Now here is a law I bet few knew About and of course we see it every day. I am not criticizing anyone but as a big Bike rider, I care, about motorbike Riding safety

Motorcycle Philippines » Blog Archive » Philippines Traffic & Vehicle Law Violations

Regards JP.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    not sure about that, I had mine stolen so someone must think they are is cool... however, I welded them on now.. done

bikes were also sold not that long ago without mirrors...

5. OP
    OP
    c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

andiflip.. I am not pained by the apprehension in any way. As I have said, I am not the type who complains because I know that there are laws.. I paid the fine 1,077 to be exact... i attended the 4-hour seminar before I had my license back.

YES, that is the correct protocol.. to hand out booklets with most of the traffic rules in the country. But NO, that was not the case... I'm sorry also that you got it all wrong... I attended the learner's seminar, I took the test, and I passed the test when I applied for my driver's license.. I am an idealist in that way andiflip...you see, i have this strong belief that IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE THE RIGHT WAY, THEN BE AN AGENT OF THAT..;. DO IT, BE AN EXAMPLE....

...making things so easy for you to get a drivers license in the first place.

I beg to disagree with you... if the test was so easy and I passed it, it is not my fault... but i did my share the right way ... so please do not tell me i need to thank LTO for making things so easy... it is not my fault that I am intelligent enough to ace their exams....

6. OP
    OP
    c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    right on jack :smile:

it was my choice and i paid. i know i violated the law and its okay. I LEARNED :smile: .. it's not really a problem for me to be corrected.. i am not that proud...

but, what i am after are the following
    1. proper information dissemination for public offices (LTO in this matter)
    2. apprehending officers should know the reason for apprehending drivers and should be informative when apprehending
    3. LTO training officers should be adequate enough to train, educate, and of course be strict to fail those who cannot pass the driving exam
    4. motorist to have respect for people in authority of the road

7. OP
    OP
    c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    mine was stolen as well :smile: so when i was apprehended, it wasnt there ... there must be market for stolen side mirrors Rhoody....
    next, we will hear about stolen helmets... so let's carry chains on our bikes :smile:

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Of course, there are always exceptions. Selling a bike with out mirrors seems to be taking the p...ss when someone gets fined 10 mins after leaving the showroom, for not having mirrors. Maybe, these were to be an optional extra. Selling you your own mirrors, (removed on delivery of the bike to the showroom) Does this still happen? (selling a bike with no mirrors) 10 brownie points for your ingenuity on the weld though!

9. OP
    OP
    c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    jackpeterson... i will weld my mirror as well... thanks for the input Rhoody :smile:

10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Apart from you were violating a traffic law, it's a matter of using your common sense and a motorbike without side mirrors, is IMHO, driving around like in the blind unless you have an extra pair of eyes on your back. Same applies for all those idiots who are driving a car, tricycle, motorbike @ night without any head- and or tail light but will surely be very upset and surprised when somebody else hit them seriously and then wondering how could that happen. Again use your common sense. As far as I know any new car, motorbike is fully equipped (including working head/tail lights) when leaving the showroom according to traffic law so simply keeps the car/bike in that configuration better for your own safety and those of other people participating the traffic.