Dumaguete Info Search

Apo Island Apo Island Beach Resort

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by The Dane, Mar 2, 2007.

1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    The beach here is just great, it is all crushed corals that must have been in the works for thousands of years, I would LOVE to own a piece of property like this.

The resort is quite nice, I did not care much for the foam mattresses, but this is not a place I would stay for weeks, so no biggie, my back was a bit out of shape when I woke up in the morning so I cancelled my morning dive though :(

Electricity runs from 6pm - midnight, but that was not a problem cause we were already in bed way before that :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Picture of Apo Island Beach Resort

This is the main building of Apo Island Beach Resort, the up and downs you see here are called the Golden Cowries, there are 4 of those. they are priced at P1950 a night and they have an awesome view :smile:

Right behind them is the restaurant, they serve plain and simple food, the garlic chicken is my favorite :smile:

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Surf Rooms in Apo Island Beach Resort

these 2 rooms side by side are called the Surf rooms, they run P1450 per night and they have 2 really comfortable chairs in front of them :smile:

Same chairs are found in Siquijor, in Coco Grove resort which is owned by the same guy.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    The Sand on Apo Island

The sand on Apo Island is like small rocks and coral pieces, it is fun to sit in it and find all sorts of shells and weird looking corals.

Attached Files:

5. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cool! They have the chairs. Maybe those are common in the area and made locally.

6. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    those rooms were built after a landslide took out the old ones - i heard the owner welcomed the chance to re-model - building codes are strict on Apo ... the room prices on island are a bit steep due to lack of supply but its worth it not to see the place ruined by development - a couple of the old origional cottages are on the left side of the first picture - all they had last time I stayed there

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Who makes Coral sand ??

Well Dane , It might be a surprise for you and many others but.... it is made!! Not by men of course but by PARROTFISH . Giant schools of parrot fish travel the oceans and they feed only on... life coraltissue... I supose you will see here and there bits of pieces chewed away from the reef leaving some "teethmarks " behind... They chew the coral with their mandebills ( like a parrot , that where the common name comes from) and the newly made coralsand leaves through their gills back to the ocean.
    HOWEVER !! the finnest coral sands (less then 1 mm) which is completly round shaped is NOT CORALSAND ! it is a kind of Fossilized Diatom Algae , with a calcium layer on the outside.
    And of course the whole process started already millions of years ago......
    Picture of traveling " Parrots " and some others of the Family . Close up of the mandebill and a microscope image of a kind of Diatome Algae.

Attached Files:

8. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    hi earlmj,
    your knowledge about marine life is outstanding and it fascinates me. thanks God, we have people like you. are you a marine biologist? love reading your threads. keep us inform more about marine life.

9. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Maraming Salamat Po , Chrissar.! I am a Ichthyologist and have specialized in Marine life indeed. Any questions about freshwater fish therefore I could answer as well. Once settled in Duma I wish to open a meeting and Info point for all questions about the Marine life and how to behave and act if...
    Plus seminars for those that wish to be informed fully.
    Also I will be able to give treatments to those that are stung , got an injury or "run in conflict " with some nasty kind of Poisinous fish or Invertebrate.

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    That's great to know Earl! I'm sure you'll find a very enjoyable and rewarding retirement in Dumaguete. Just don't p#ss off your missus....we don't want to hear your seminars with a squeaky voice....

I'm sure this forum is glad you are sharing your expertise with us!