Dumaguete Info Search

Are USA DOT approved helmets legal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Sitkan, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Sitkan

Sitkan DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are USA DOT approved helmets legal there? I am planning a trip and would like to bring my own if I can.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Unless it has been inspected, Issued the ICC sticker by the DTI the simple answer is NO. As we have heard just recently, you can have the worlds best Helmet, costing hundreds of $. If it don't have the DTI approval and Sticker it will not be legal. Stupid ?? YES where else :D only in the PI

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Actually, but no guarantee. A friend has an expensive DOT approved helmet, he went late to DTI and couldn't get a sticker. They told him the DOT helmet "should be ok". Yesterday he was ricing with that helmet and the police said it was ok, but he did get nailed because his GF on the back wasn't wearing one.

4. clear copy

clear copy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    DOT approved helmets is approved by LTO

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Currently supposedly a DOT helmet will pass, but time will tell if they pass that info on to the "enforcers".

Larry

6. pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
  7. JoaPaul

JoaPaul DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I got an in China produced helmet with DOT and let it check in November at the local department and got an ICC sticker for it. DOT was as an approved quality standart in their list. But unfortunately this days - when you can get the sticker for free - are over. Therefore leave your helmet at home. You need to get a local one no matter how shitty it will be if it got the sticker on it. Welcome to the bureaucracy of the Philippines!

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I'm curious which brand(s) of China produced helmets are DOT approved?

Larry

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't think the Spider helmets are complete sh*t. They are reasonably priced. Had one myself until someone jacked it and I was quite pleased with it, although I never kissed the ground with it on.

10. JoaPaul

JoaPaul DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    'Troy Lee Design' is the brand but m,y guess is there are much more brands who are producing in China,,