Dumaguete Info Search

Are you ready for the boom ?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by loftyone, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    A recent survey in australia indicated a high number of "baby boomers" (those born agter WW2 roughly 1945-1955) do not have enough superannuation to retire in australia and will be looking overseas for a cheaper place to retire. Bali and Thailand are the preferred locations but this is sure to filter through to the PI. I'm sure this is also the case in the US and Europe so expect to see a lot more foreigners moving to Cebu and Dumaguete over the next 10 years.

This, along with the balikbayans, will put upward pressure on land and house prices. Those pro development residents will benefit from new businesses as part of this boom, Those who are anti development will need to look for another sleepy hollow.

2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    already happening
    bad news

3. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    boom

actually those bleeting on about the need for malls and better infrastructure may want to thi nk again
    on websites the question of where to retire in asia always crops up
    and Thailand is always number one
    however the rcetn visa changes there are forcing some ot look elsewhere
    the Phils is often dismissed for one reason: lack of infrastructure
    So people may o=want to think about this
    get western nstyle amenities and the place will be flooded by all the thai crowd and Du maguetre will just become another Pattaya
    I'm sure none of us want that least of all the localsI
    I for one am for universities and healkth care not malls and flat roads
    bumpy roads and lack of malls adds character and keeps the swarms away

4. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm also no fond of this big malls etc...with this very small city dgte.just so crowded for me.Better to look their peace and order now which become more worsen..The developments now that they try to put in (small)Dgte.I think they are overdoing it....

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    talking about baby boom... the PI has a population of 88 Million (Aug 2007) in 2000 it was 76 Million.
    hmmm I am here since 2001, but it realy wasn't me... alone...

Duma is ready for a small mall but it has to go hand in hand with a traffic-solution

Rhoody

6. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Yep, lots of boomers around. SE Asia seems an obvious choice for Aussies, for Americans it's more likely to be Central or South America. A few, like me, are Balikbayan spouses. Be there soon.

7. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh my... this was one of the reasons that got me here... away from the traffic! :( i guess it would be better if future malls be erected (if it couldnt be avoided) further away Dumaguete.

8. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Baby boomers would find it nice to be here, and they also need some urban amenities such as a mall. They could be housed in villages in the outskirts of Dumaguete, and near the beaches. But some could also be in urban environment near the city. They should be given a choice depending on the lifestyle that they want.

9. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Nice to know you think we need a mall, no one NEEDS a mall. Malls are shopping centers with mostly overpriced luxury items and coffee shops, cell phone shops, and mall rats. Mall rats are young teenage girls who spend the whole day wandering around without purpose, searching for teenage boys or in the case of Dumaguete, perhaps old Foreigners :D

My first visit to Ayala Mall in Cebu two days in the Philippines was an eye opener. Withing 5 minutes I was approached by teen age girls wanting to be my txt mate, prostitutes, both female and pretend females, and was given the eye by countless others.
    Flattering but not why I went to the Mall.

Welcome to the Philippines.

And then you want to house us in compounds outside the city... Sounds more like concentration camps, just let us out once a week to go to the mall and buy more stuff. Great.

10. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Your points are well made RHB. I personally LOVE the nature in DUMA and see no need to go to a mall unless I am forced to buy a necessary item. Otherwise why waste your time INSIDE? But we all value different things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.