Dumaguete Info Search

Argentina?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Notmyrealname, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    A bit off-topic for a site dedicated to Dumaguete, but there are postings at times here from people thinking of moving and I was just reading about Argentina on sovereignman.com

The country is experiencing economic woes and the Argentine peso has fallen by about 50% against the US dollar and the Euro this year.

This means for holders of those currencies (and probably many others) you can have a great lifestyle there. Argentina now comes at about half the price when compared to its neighbors, Uruguay and Chile. And today, it is even cheaper than much-less-developed Paraguay. In fact, Argentina offers a lifestyle comparable to what you’d find in Southern Europe, but for a fraction of the cost.

In Buenos Aires – probably the best-known South American city – today you will pay:

• $5 or less for an Uber to go anywhere in the city

• $30-$35 for a great steak dinner for two with a bottle of wine

• $5.50 for a big breakfast in a nice café

Of course, you don’t have to spend money so “lavishly.” A simple lunch in Buenos Aires’s business district costs less than $4, and a subway ride is only 35 cents.

One negative is that it’s not cheap to buy properties in Buenos Aires. Argentines don’t trust their currency (with good reason) and are pricing properties in the best neighborhoods in dollars, not pesos. And since the beginning of the year, those dollar prices barely moved. But unlike prices for buying a home, prices to rent are always priced in pesos. That means, in dollars, rents plummeted about 50% since the beginning of the year.

You can get a lovely Airbnb flat for $35 a night, and a very nice two-bedroom apartment for under $1,000 a month – both in the best part of the city. And the cost of living outside of Buenos Aires plummeted even further.

Sure, some countries in Asia are similarly low-cost, but literally no other country in the Western Hemisphere can hold a candle to the lifestyle-vs-cost equation, especially after you account for how nice and developed Argentina is. And, unlike many countries in Asia, Argentina has style. Furthermore, Argentines tend to be warm, welcoming, and easy to connect with.

If you can work remotely – it’s hard to land a decent-paying job in Argentina – and dreamed about living in Southern Europe but didn’t like the price tag of Rome or Barcelona, then Buenos Aires (and the rest of Argentina) could be your perfect alternative today.

Your money will go much further in Argentina than in Italy or Spain.

And the best part – If you spend a little over two years in the country, you can qualify for a passport there. Argentina remains one of the most liberal places in the world when it comes to citizenship, allowing naturalization after just two years of residency. An Argentine passport is the second best in Latin America only after Chile.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The currency exchange rate really doesn't matter all that much, I'm a billionaire in Vietnam...but I certainly wouldn't live like one there, it is the purchasing power you have to look at. Also:

argentina.PNG
    That is not sustainable. Something has to give. It might be cheap now...but probably not for much longer with that inflation rate. Seems the country has a history of being extremely volatile (and extremely financially irresponsible), with no signs of letting up. They make the government economic plan in the Philippines look like it was put together by geniuses.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Not such a good place for Brits lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Funny side note:
    Back in 2012 their Navy had a ship stolen/repossessed by a hedge fund (Elliott Capital Management) for lack of payment. Hilarious. I bet the captain of the ship took all kinds of sh*t for that one.

5. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    You saying it was not?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think they had a ship called the General (something) - whatever happened to that?

7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think their economy is on the same course as that ship was.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    It was sunk by a UK navy Submarine with the loss of some 400+ Lives Toward the end of the Dispute between the UK and the Argentines "The General Belgrano"

9. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    In the past, the IMF gave the country bail out money, lots of it. Now, they're having the same problems. China stepped in this time to offer their version of help.

10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    I will believe, they still have not forgotten how you kicked them out of the Falkland islands (Las Malvinas).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2