Dumaguete Info Search

Arriving in Dumaguete 1911

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by garbonzo, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Bit different from today's fastcraft...Nice buildings too.....My wife got this old postcard from eBay. Interesting that the initials of the sender are L.C.H. and obviously involved with Silliman. Wonder if it was Laura Hibbard who sent this?

Attached Files:

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    To garbonzo

This is incredible postcard of Silliman ( 1911 postmark) .The boulevard looked diff ,with those houses and vegetation in the background ,and people / students wearing white,there's even kind of sandy beach along . Great your wife was able to retrieve this 'ancient' token of silliman in it ,and from eBay ,amazing rare find!

3. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I love things like this. That was 96 years ago in a much different (and in many ways better) world. That scene just looks so pure and serene.

Interesting that this postcard was sent to Gorham, Maine of all places.

4. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Excellent find. It appears to be in great condition. I think pickled_newt and Kuya are right, things appear so much different than the present day photos I've seen. What are your plans with it?

Sincerely,

Tom

5. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Hi tom ,I could only look at it (drolling :D ) with joy and great appreciation of garbonzo's posting . As far as plans with it ,I will leave it to mrs garbonzo who's so lucky to get the postcard .I should have scout at eBay :wink: I'm sure Ill tell few friends who's working in silliman right now to have a look at this posting.

6. OP
    OP
    garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Yes, it is a lovely card. Not sure if it was posted by Laura Hibbard...would love to find out though. Hard to imagine that Silliman would have had someone working there in 1911 with L. and H. as the initials. I think the middle initial or maiden name might confirm it...or a handwriting sample.

In answer to Tom's question...in the last couple years my wife has kind of rediscovered her heritage. Since we were married she has devoted herself to raising the children, working her best, her education, and me of course :smile: , while adapting to new lands and cultures herself (middle east and Oz) and is recently finding the time to learn more about her beautiful island Negros and the history...and what a colourful story Negros, and in fact, the Philippines has. I find it fascinating myself....it is staggering the number of cultures that have impacted on the Philippines in a major way, created a rich history - and produced such wonderful people now. So she is trying very hard to find bits and pieces here on eBay etc to accumulate a bit of that history. What she does with it eventually...I have my suspicions..there isn't much now to worry about anyway..it is very competitive buying. But I know her....and she will do the right thing at the right time...

7. averatec3200

averatec3200 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If this is indeed from Mrs. Hibbard, it would be nice to have this post card displayed at the Sillimaniana section at SU Lib

8. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    arriving...

I also just picked up a Dumaguete postgard off ebay, circa 1907-1915, entitled "Beach at Dumaguete". This card was unsent.

When I get it, I'll scan it and have it posted.

The best,
    2 blackbelts

9. OP
    OP
    garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Next trip to Dumaguete...which may be a while...getting pressured into making a Paraguay trip...we'll bring the card along and see if we can find the resources at Silliman to confirm the sender...

2 blackbelts...glad to hear you got that card. We saw it too...but my wife forgot to bid...but now we know it's in good hands! Nice beach scene...a lot more sand than nowadays!!

10. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    We are looking forward to see it 2blackbelts.
    Cheers.:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.