Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Art School..

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Cutie ladybug, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Visitng at our friend's house Monday evening, we were surprised to see how good of an artist their teenage daughter is.

I asked how much of what I see when looking at her paintings is her own talent and how much is what her art school down by DWSD teacher has taught her.

She said, " Teacher not teach me anything, only play with baby and look out window" as her parents looked on a bit astonished

"Then if my parents are coming, she throw baby down and start talking many things to them"

The family is from elsewhere in Asia; their teen's use of English is good, but a bit comical, making the story even funnier.

2. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    I do not believe ART can be really taught. Art is not mathematics. :smile:

3. robgie

robgie DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, am guessing someone never went to art class... or busy looking out the window. Seriously though, I did learn way more than I thought possible, even for hard head like me with no talent. If there is a talent, a gift for it, there are teachers who can further their talent showing a few tricks of the trade.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I believe you are wrong. Almost each art is based on mathematics and physics.

Which soundwaves working together in music, what frequencies create certain emotions. One of the most influential composers of all time was deaf, but he knew how harmonies and frequencies of different instruments work together to create great music

which lightwaves (reading colors) are used to create certain effects, what angle needed to get the right depth. a lot of world-class painting artists were and are architects. most paintings are based on simple geometric figures.

the art of photography is not much more than physics. capturing light-waves in certain distance with different speed to create a picture. you'll make 1000 crappy shots with the "best" camera in the world, if you don't have any idea how to handle shutterspeed, focus, etc.

Being gifted in whatever art is great, having a mentor who can teach some stuff can safe years of experimenting.
    Being untalented but learning and practicing under the right guidance can create quite impressive results.

5. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    I have a strong sense we might be on parallel tracks here.

I know of one painter, specializing on watercolor and abstract art who has a problem with counting his change at the supermarket, converting his foreign currency to local Pesos, things mathematically related.

I am talking about ART within an individual as a natural gift, talent. I do not believe you can take anyone without any inclination for music or painting and enrol that person in an Art Class and produce a real artist after a few semesters.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Art and Science are related, but Art is simply based on Art itself
    I bet, not one of those girls who sing at Coco Amigos know the frequency in hz of the A note, but they sure know how to sing. However, for the naturally gifted, mentoring will improve the gift.
    :smile:

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well I was professional long enough in the music business... I can tell you they can't sing very well, usually topping in horrible shouting. If my dog would look good in a miniskirt and lipstick, he outperforms them any second of the day...

I won't change your thinking, but the thousands of years in art - history simply proofs you wrong.

7. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    History is overflowing with proof showing the best artists of legendary stature never went to art school...except to improve whatever gift they already were born with.

But I sure wish to see your dog in mini skirt.. even without lipstick...that would be fashion art. :-)

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Picasso, da Vinci, Warhol, Duerer, Bosch, Mozart, all Italian composers of the big Operas, Wagner... they all went to art school and/or had private mentors. Shakespeare is known that he studied the difficult Latin language based on the classic Latin poets and writers for inspiration.

most of the painters had art schools later in their life, with students creating paintings where experts nowadays find out that they actually are no originals, but made by the student of the classic painters.

my dog .... well at the moment he is naked, but my little one painted his nails red, does that count ?

9. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    Art School, perhaps at least to me, is simply sandpaper to what is already a finely crafted hardwood.

Otherwise, like Philippine Nurses, it would have been easy to have an oversupply of Picassos, plenty of Da Vincis, a multitude of Chopin, Tchaikovsky, or Beethoven, and the list of endless possibilities.

A naked dog is naked art, and the mention of someone naked is a little bit dizzying early in the morning, but the little one with painted red nails, is art... what art school does it learn to paint?

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    you are totally right, that is exactly the reason why millions of people going worldwide to art-schools having mentors, participating in workshops, to become an artist, learning the harmonies, educating themselves about different techniques (again math and physics)...

not to become the next Beethoven (thanks for mentioning a brilliant example for a high educated artist, as he knew so much about the theory of music that he was able to compose brilliant music, just by his knowledge, even he could never hear or perform it in his life after turning deaf). people like that were highly gifted, received the education in their field of art and were additional at the right moment at the right spot (or born in the right family)

Millions of people signing up in art-schools doing that with the goal to have a professional career in their field of art. From studio musician to dancer in an ensemble, from restoration of old paintings or buildings to designing stage sets and backdrops for thousands of live-shows daily all around the globe.

it is not limited to painting or music, it goes on through all fields of art from fashion design to beating up somebody with a stick and all other forms of MMA

some of them are gifted, most of them studied the science