Dumaguete Info Search

Asparagus

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by ShawnM, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Has anyone tried growing asparagus here? I have been reading what I could about growing it in the Philippines, but there is not too much info and it seems like most folks are up in the mountains that are trying it. I've never grown it before (though my Mom does but that is in the Midwest, so 4 seasons).

We were getting asparagus in cans at Prince, but they have not had them for more than a month plus canned is never as fresh (plus it was pricey). Just wondering if it is worth trying it, figuring only 5 or 6 plants for my space and realizing that it could be 2 years or so before the first harvest.

Opinions/thoughts would be appreciated...I did pick up some seeds locally so I am kind of in the mindset of why not try it, though I could put something else in the area that would perform.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :pompus: When I lived in Spain there was a lot of Asparagus grown, mainly on the Hilly areas, I am no Gardner but I am told that this type of food needs a Cooler environment with an airborne breeze and plenty of Water. Seems that it takes the water mainly form the Air which is I guess is why it Thrives better on higher and maybe slightly cooler Climate.

JMCT from things I have Heard. :wink:

JP :bag: :whistling:

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Danny dorong of Danny's organic farm grows asparagus up in valencia, not cheap here and very thin stems but sweet.
    It also needs feeding heavily to produce good stuff. You can buy the plants here in several places and seen them in the mall when they have gardening shows.
    The organic market the other side of town on fri mornings you can find Danny, he won an award last year for his efforts and nice guy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. philofoz

philofoz DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
  5. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    Nothing quite like bacon wrapped asparagus cooked on a charcoal grill. Just my 2 centavos.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Cool link, I have decided to give asparagus a try; looks to be a challenge but nothing ventured...

Shawn

• Like Like x 2