Dumaguete Info Search

Attempted House Break In

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Obliged Friend, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Last night approximately 10 pm, heard an attempt to open sliding glass window in the rear my house. Waited a few moments and partially opened curtain panel. Saw a man walking away from the window. There’s security bars on all the window frames.

Please no comments that I probably deserved the attempted breakin or he was only checking the windows for security purposes.

PNP and numerous barangay men arrived very quickly. They made a search but the man was gone. I am very grateful for their prompt arrival and search.

This post is for those that are concerned about security awareness in the Dumaguete area. I do realize this happens everywhere in the world and is not limited to Negros Oriental.

If the OP doesn’t want this information posted please delete it.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Glad you were safe inside and that nothing bad happened. I will assume you had nothing outside that he might have been interested in also. A good reason to keep almost everything inside and/or locked up.

I have noticed through the years that this type of activity spikes when cane season takes a break and the workers are left to fend for themselves with no pay until next season begins around August.

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Be careful mate. If they fail once they could have a go again. There are usually more than one , they work as a group so listen carefully too, they sometimes use what sound like bird cries to communicate between each other as well. Strange I know but it's true.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Security cameras are fairly cheap to buy even a dummy camera would make a deterrent. And dogs also could scare away an intruder, things to consider!

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    It is a good thing that you were awake and able to do the right move. Guard lights around that area would also help. Have floodlights that you could easily switch on when

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Good thing that you were still awake and able to do appropriate action. Some things we could do to ward off these intruders:

1. dogs ( we got 5 local dogs at home and whenever they see or smell strangers they bark like crazy---proper warning for you and believe me, these people are afraid of being bitten or chased by dogs)

2. flood lights---have a sort of light that you only switch when you notice something strange in the vicinity---when my dogs bark, I usually would switch on all the lights outside

3. an alarm that you could switch on (police siren sort of alarm) anytime you feel intruders trying to get in

4. CCTV's even dummy ones will do

• Like Like x 3
  7. OP
    OP
    Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Have lights front and rear. There’s a 12ft high concrete wall with 5 strands barbed rear the house. The sides..5 ft concrete wall topped with 1ft metal v shaped spikes. Front gate 8 foot...with spikes.

The bedrooms are like a typical safe room.

In all the overseas assignments and various cities in the US, this is the first time...something like this has happened.

Cameras...will look today.

Bought a puppy last month, part German Shepard..and I don’t know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    You don't have to buy puppies----that can be expensive. Just adopt---there are quite many here that are just roaming around homeless. With proper attention, they will grow up loyal to you and will guard your house like crazy. Have around 3 of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have some Amazon Cloud cameras. They send phone notifications when they detect movement, a person, dogs barking (though it sometimes mistakes tokay barks for dogs) and babies crying, with all of those being options to toggle. It also has a speaker that allows me to talk through the camera, which has so far scared the sh*t out of anyone that wasn't expecting a voice in an empty house and has been helpful in directing and communicating with people in the house while I'm away.

They aren't cheap and come with a monthly subscription if you want to unlock all the features but I have found them to be worth the investment.

If you put them at the entrances and were home (or not) it would be a good way to inform the person trying to get in they are being watched and that they should p*ss off.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Sorry if I am misunderstanding; do you know any reason why he would try to open the window if you had bars on it? Do the bars seem easily removable? Also, can you indicate which Barangay? Thanks for your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk