Dumaguete Info Search

Bacolod Bacolod

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by sfgb35, Apr 25, 2011.

1. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bacolod, wats it really like?

I have never been, i am told its nice, but its it as nice as Dumaguete? Does anyone have any thoughts, pointers, or can some one tell me reasons not to go and live there over Dumaguete?

I lived in Duma already for three months I love the place, just want to explore a little more of the Philippines..

:confused:

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I spent 1 month there over Christmas and New Years 2 or so years ago. It is nice but is literally 10 or so time the size of Dumaguete. It is also noisier and dirtier than Dumaguete.

3. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    More of a sprawl city than dumaguete and more commerce than dumaguete,,It compares to larger cities in philippines only in few factors such as regular taxi service as a normal thing where as dumaguete taxi is a novelty...It does not have high rises dotting its skyline but it is spread out into several cities all connected....Old style spanish buildings abound and the govt complex there in downtown is bigger and more malls than here but just not as intimate as dumaguete and not as flashy as Cebu....It gives me a drab sensation when site seeing in town but I'm moving to a mountain town near there and have friends from there...its worth a visit to test your own tastes...I was told not as many foreigners there as in dumaguete but more wealthy filipina there....

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    I think Dumaguete is a pretty nice spot for expats. I've only been there twice, and once was only an overnight stay. But what I saw, it seemed large enough to offer the basics, plus nice countryside, and decent beaches. Bacolod is much bigger and no beaches. It goes for miles. Not as well laid out perhaps, but some credit for much wider roads downtown. And considerable credit for keeping trikes out of the downtown area. I'm surprised by KDF's observation of the noise and dirt in Bacolod. I think the opposite is the case with the noise, but it's all a matter of perception and where you stay. Dirtiness not sure either...but neither is an award winner for sure. Tunji mentioned the commerce...I'd say Bacolod has a hundred, maybe a thousand times, the money floating around. There is considerable wealth there - especially with sugar prices last two years. There is a huge middle class, an extensive network of elites - mostly plantation owners and businessmen, and of course no shortage of poor people too in slums.
    Shopping is outstanding and so are many of the restaurants - d*mn good food there. Most of what you find in Manila or Cebu...you'll find in Bacolod. A lot more foreigners than you think....but most live on the outskirts of the city in subdivisions and don't get out as much downtown as they do in Dumaguete. Not much of a need with suburban shopping areas catering for most requirements. Anyway, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, if it was just me - Dumaguete would suit....but my wife is dead-set on Bacolod...and I can live with it. It is a pleasant city. We only intend to live there part-time anyway. Don't forget the airport north of Bacolod. Very nice...and possibly before we die of old age there will be international flights from it...

5. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I spent a week in Bacolod, and am back today. No reason to move here instead of Dgte.

I'm here for kidney dialysis btw

6. OP
    OP
    sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys thanks for the advice. I am here in Cebu at the moment and would like to loose the big city feeling, dirt, pollution and traffic. And as Tunji says, it personal thing at the end of the day. Personally i am set on Dumaguete too, i like the atmosphere and the nature surrounding it. My financee will probably do a course at STi in Duma, and the same course is run at STi in Bacolod so i guess i always have the choice of transferring, should the need arise.
    Anyhow thanks everyone for your thoughts, views and experience.
    sfgb35

7. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Bacolod, The City of Smile.... the home of the famous Mascara festival. :smile:

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Except when it gets rained out! :eek:

9. SidfromSydney

SidfromSydney DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have just moved to Bacolod after 2 yrs in IloIlo. Got to say the city is one of the most unattractive Asian cities I have been to.

Shopping here is good, although IloIlo seems to have a better wine selection and Asian spices, Tom Yum etc.

I am surprised that where I live (in a big Barangy) there does not seem to be any rubbish/garbage collection. Also one of the local papers had an article about another area that seems to have no collection also.

Its interesting to note the local Government has just built themselves a very impressive council building. Its located on the outskirts of the city and also has the local tourist office. the downtown office is closed. Can you imagine how many tourist would find the office for information, ZERO. IloIlo is constructing a similar building downtown, an area that seems to flood during very high tides.

10. OP
    OP
    sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The C word again

Corruption i mean !
    I love it, its part and parcel of daily life, but how can you every stop the corruption when the people in power are corrupt also...time for revolution.....

Mind its not just here, its everywhere in the world, the rich getting richer the poor getting poorer....