Dumaguete Info Search

Bad luck for people of Negros Oriental

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Glendazumba, May 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    For the 3rd time in a row Negros Oriental has been given GCQ in spite of the fact that we'd been having a clean record for several months already. Per our daily report, there had been ZERO new cases for the past months! We could not understand why they keep on extending GCQ when we should be moving forward to MGCQ. In the President's recent speech, he had announced the areas that would be downgraded to MGCQ and I swear, Negros Oriental was in the list. It is exasperating to see later on that some people up there have managed to change our classification for some reason.

Is it clinging to power and having control of people? Earlier before the president's announcement, like 3 or 4 days before, our local "leaders" have already preempted our quarantine form after May 31 saying that we would still be extending GCQ. This pronouncement however did not tally with the President's announcement later, that Negros Oriental will now be downgraded to MGCQ. How this decision changed is beyond everyone's understanding when the local govt. made a final announcement that we are still under GCQ, contrary to the President's announcement in his speech. What happened? Did someone from the local government make an appeal to national government that we should still remain under GCQ? It seems like it and it is not funny. It only reflects the kind of leaders we have in this province-----they are a bunch of weaklings who want to hold on to the power straw.

The people of Negros Oriental do not deserve this prolonged isolation. We'd been good, following protocols, etc. I just wish we'll have an election tomorrow so we can change these corrupt weaklings.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Thanks x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think the reasoning is quite simple: we are in the same region as Cebu. Had the Negros Region been established years ago when it was approved by the previous administration we would not have been lumped under the same rules as the next island over. IMO it has nothing to do with power, it is laziness and an inability/unwillingness to have a more nuanced plan of action for individual provinces and/or for the local "leadership" to contest Malacanang's advice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17

• Genius Genius x 1
  4. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17
    I have been following numbers since March 1st...every day in the PH the numbers have risen not much.. but by 80-90- 100-200 new cases each day ..our lockdown here was a closed island which seemed to work wonders as stated above,,,however virus was ravaging other parts of the islands and Cebu right across from us ..I agree with how they have handled the situation...........this virus has no favorites it can rear its head anytime anywhere ....... 1 person with 10 friends can emit a total of 1 thousand contacts...and within 4 generations 10,000...on and on ...I took the wait and see approach by just watching sitting back and to see what happens after quarantine was relaxed and people start moving around well this happened when a week ago? 2 weeks? and what happened?? the new cases shot up 3 days ago to 500 and then 2 days ago 1000 and now again 500 a huge increase from normal not crazy huge but % % % wise... I rather now...still.. have some (not on every corner)... some type of policing and check points to see where this uptrend leads us under relaxed rules no harm in being smart..I would also like to see our island closed a little longer ...2 weeks I can handle still..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    He said it not once, but twice, and at the end he also stated that it was 'final'. The the DTI and DILG Chiefs both repeated it. The next day Roque changes it. Makes one wonder who is in charge in the Palace?

Also, they will now allow flights to Manila and back several days a week. Great, I just read today that as of last night Manila has 2100 positive cases. Don't forget, one of our two deaths was a Councilor from Tayasan that caught the virus in San Juan, part of Manila.

You can't 'social distance' inside a sardine can, aka PAL Flight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Starting next week they are reinstating PAL flights to, where else, Manila that announced 2100 active cases as of last night.

This should get explosive soon. All it will take is one case coming back and we are back to square one.

Stock up on the liquor while there is time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I saw a memo/advisory this morning from Manila saying that the airlines are not authorized to fly and they should stop selling tickets. However, I can't seem to find it now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    We are still under GCQ and then open up for flight Dumaguete-Manila and back when Manila is an area with a lot of new cases, infected with COVID 19 each day, that's Filipino logic to me, years ago I stop trying to understand that way of thinking, too many headaches. I also have seen the same memo/advisory as Rye that airlines not are authorized to fly and they should stop selling tickets, another example of how things are coordinated in the Philippines.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  9. magdala adlaw

magdala adlaw DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 8
    Blood Type:
    B+
    It is so refreshing to hear someone say exactly what needs to be said. I can only say that Philippine citizens in NO will have a chance to vote in the next election. I believe that the amount of control is shocking; that the use of passes during GCQ, justified because a lot of people decided to come into town on the day ECQ, is an example of how the people in power either do not want to lose their new found control or want to demonstrate

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Very noticeable now that it's not just foreigners complaining about GCQ extension on fb, but also locals. It has finally drained even their patience and belief that all that comes down from above must be correct. Two weeks ago it was all 'love & kisses' following each announcement. That has changed and the politicians don't seem to be picking up the mood, or don't care, most likely. Rye83 may be right that it's just sheer laziness lumping us in with the rest of region 7, but could equally be for a valid reason, such as because of returning workers from Manila. The problem is, nobody is communicating the reasons.

This whole thing has proved to be a test of the layered strata style of government in the Phils, and so far, it's proving to be not up to the test in my view. Obviously just as an observer, as I'm not allowed to state an opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1