Dumaguete Info Search

Balikbayan Visa Balikbayan Program

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Rye83, May 17, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Balikbayan Program - Visa - Philippines

From the BoI

1. Who are eligible under Balikbayan Program?

A Balikbayan, who may be either one of the following:
    • A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year.
    • A Filipino overseas worker;
    • A former Filipino citizen and his family who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.
    Immediate family members (spouse and children) of the Balikbayan, who are nationals of countries falling under EO 408, travelling together with the Balikbayan.

2. Who are not entitled to the Balikbayan privilege?

Former Filipinos and their immediate family members (spouse and children) who are visa-required nationals (nationals of countries NOT listed under EO 408). They must secure entry visas prior to their travel to the Philippines.

3. What are the privileges of a Balikbayan?

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide. An additional requirement will be ask for Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months.

4. Can a foreigner spouse or child of a Balikbayan avail this privilege when traveling to the Philippines alone?

A foreign national spouse and/or child of a Balikbayan may only be given the said privilege if he/she is traveling with his/her Balikbayan spouse or parent.

Cost:
    Free

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard of people getting this visa without their spouses flying in with them and some even getting this after they are in the country. This is not how it is supposed to work and if you do go that route you are breaking the law. These people are either lucky to get a immigration officer that hasn't a clue or they have paid a bribe to someone.

There have also been people caught with fake BB stamps on their way out of country. If someone offers you this visa for a price just don't do it. It's not worth getting arrested and thrown in the immigration jail while they figure out what is going on and preparing your deportation papers/putting you on the BoI Blacklist. You must be with your wife while flying in to country. You will have to leave the Philippines after the year is up or apply for the 1-6 month extension. (I was unaware that you could extend this until I read it on the BoI website. Never personally heard of anyone doing it.)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. sandycreekg

sandycreekg DI Member Showcase Reviewer

retired
    Ratings:
    +167 / 14
    After staying 12 months on balikbyan visa instead of leaving the country again is it possible to start the tourist visa extensions .....???

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Simple answer is yes but we are a little unsure if it will give you the 3 years on extensions or only 2 as you have effectively been in the Country for 1 year already. Best check with BI

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I had a reference a couple months ago but cannot remember where I saved it. The answer as of December 2016 was yes, after one year on Balikbayan Visa Waiver, you can start tourist Visa extensions for up to two years as the three year total time in country still applies (not three years as a tourist).

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. sandycreekg

retired
    Ratings:
    +167 / 14
    Thanks for the quick replies, one more question.............upon arriving at the airport and asking for balikbyan...........if get refused and given one month free visa..........do I have to have a throwaway ticket just in case of refusal or is it just automatic free one month visa............??

6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Unless you are on a 13 or any other such Visa anyone entering the PI must have an Onwards Ticket ( your Airline will not allow you to Board from you Departure Airport without.

BTW I presume your Wife will be with you? I ask only that I can see no reason for your thinking it will be Denied you ( the BB Stamp)

7. sandycreekg

retired
    Ratings:
    +167 / 14
    thanks again for your reply Jack, yes my wife will me

8. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    thumbs-up-homer.png Then I wish you a Good trip when you decide to come

9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Since this just happened to AlwaysRt and his wife WAS with him and he WAS refused lets hope he tells us if a throwaway ticket was required.

Why was he refused you ask? Well he said its because his wife's passport showed a different last name to him. YMMV

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    #1 I let my wife do all the talking, turns out she was 'too shy' to ask or didn't know to ask, changes back and forth when we talk about it.

#2 Her new passport was in the delayed batch so we didn't have it when we went to Hong Kong but we did have reservations in her married name and our marriage certificate. I handed the boarding passes, marriage certificate, and both passports to the BI official.

#3 Did not have or need an onward ticket. If I did I would have got one on Expedia and canceled it in Manila so wasn't worried if I did. Didn't need it because either the ticket agent and BI obviously saw we had enough proof of marriage and qualified for Balikbayan OR the ticket agent was distracted by the ticket in her married name and old passport and the BI agent had too much fun giving me a tourist Visa instead of Balikbayan to ask.

As always YMMV

• Informative Informative x 4