Dumaguete Info Search

Balikbayan Visa Balikbayan Spouse

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by osodelnorte, Jan 4, 2015.

1. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    When entering the Philippines as a Balikbayan Spouse, how does it work? Do I go through the Filipino immigration's gate with my spouse, do we go through Foreigners together or do we go through separate?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would walk through the visiting (tourists) line with our wife. Make sure you have your marriage certificate on you.

3. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    I just did it 2 weeks ago (Manila Airport) -- we went in the Filipinos line, my wife did the talking, presented our passports, had our marriage certificate ready but it was not demanded (it sometimes is); the officer gave me a sour glance but stamped it in, waved us thru. My asawa says that it can't work unless she is right there with me, requesting that i get balikbayan staus... as far as i know, that is true. I tried it once before on my own (Cebu Airport), was refused.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1anthony

1anthony DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +37 / 6
    Blood Type:
    A+

5. 1anthony

1anthony DI Junior Member Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +37 / 6
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This the best way to do it, go through the Philippino gate with your wife and let her do the talking, that is what I did back in June and for the second time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    No only is it the best way, but it is the Proper way to do it, Your Wife Must be physically with you at your passport Control point of Entry.
    Otherwise there would be many say OH! Look there is my Wife in the Other Queue, You wave and 6/7 wave back. :eek: No! do it Right First time, makes No real difference which Line you take, as long as you are Together.

JP:wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I wonder if that was because you went through the wrong line or if the officer was jelly.

8. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Most probably because like most that have a small world it becomes an opportunity to display expression whilst in a perceived position of authority :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  9. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    I had the impression that it was a "here's another foreigner tryin' to get away with something!" (not having to pay them to renew my visa) look; but who knows -- he might have just been having a bad day, or indeed might have been jealous of the manifest beauty & virtue of my Dumaguete Lady.... :-)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+

I always found it funny that they called the visa "balikbayan". Like we are just something that they happen to find abroad and are bringing back home. And I thought balikbayan boxes were usually gifts for family (since that's one of the first words I hear when I get back in country....what exactly is it I'm supposed to bring back from Afghanistan anyways? I can't exactly bring back bullets or explosives.). Shouldn't your wives be sharing you with the rest of the (cute) family members? :wink:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1