Dumaguete Info Search

Bangkok Thailand - March 2012

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by OnMyWay, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    If you haven't already read the two prior reports Where this journey began in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap, Cambodia please take some time to do so as they lead to this part 3 of a trip through Cambodia and Thailand. It's right here in this same section of the internet forum.

I wanted to keep this trip report together by country, even though it's not how it really happened chronologically. We flew into Bangkok from Manila and stayed 3 nights in Bangkok followed by 2 nights in Pattaya before flying into Cambodia. In this writing I will cover Bangkok. The next segment will be Pattaya, Thailand.

We landed at 1220am in Bangkok and all was well. Got luggage, used ATM and went outside to taxi stand and got 2 taxi's to Nana Hotel in Sukhumvit. Nana has a pool, jacuzzi, great aircon, fantastic water pressure and comfortable beds and it's 1490Baht/$45 and includes a good buffet breakfast. But, it's dead center of the adult entertainment zones. 290baht/ $10 and 25 minutes later we were there. Checked in, luggage to room and hit the streets for some food. I lived in Thailand prior to moving to Philippines and one thing nearly every single person from Thailand misses is the food. I'm no exception and I was determined to begin filling that craving. Although it had been nearly 4 years since I was in Thailand, my favorite pad Thai and noodle car was still in the same Sukhumvit location. My Thai language used to be pretty decent and this was my chance to begin remembering some of it. Food was great and now it's nearly 2:30am and time for bed. Beat tired.

Up the following morning and it's the girls first time out of their country and seeing things abroad. I showed them MBK mall and they went shopping. Things were really rediculous expensive and not much was purchased. The Princess bought nothing. We waited as I knew what the prices should have been. We used the skytrain to get around Bangkok and man is it so nice. Quiet, clean, blazing aircon and fast. Much much busier than it was on my last visit. Dinner that night was a favorite restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 16 called Suda. It didn't dissappoint and what a fantastic meal! Next was a new mall called Terminal 21. Massive place, ultra new and was having a concert inside with some Thai Pop band that was crankin out the tunes. Get a look at this mall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a cable car at the top! :-)

[​IMG]

Out on the streets of Bangkok the city is busy and signs of some good economy and money.

[​IMG]

Immediately we all started commenting on the transportation all being so new and nice. Vehicles not blowing black smog and soot like they do where we live in the Philippines. You would have had to really search to find broken headlights and missing tail lights, etc. We noticed that fairly quick.

Couple photos from Bangkok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shangri-La
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    The next day we all took the Skytrain to the Chao Phraya river boat and then onto Wat Po and Grand Palace area. I always enjoy doing this and it was new to everyone else. So, here's some photos along the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And inside Wat Po - Famous for it's Reclining Buddha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solid Black Pearl and Onyx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent a couple hours wandering around there as the scenery was great. But, the afternoon heat came out and I headed back to the boat and was bound for The Oriental Hotel where I knew the aircon would be COLD and relaxation inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and into the tea room - you'll be hard pressed to find a better spot for afternoon tea
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 3 nights in Bangkok we were all ready to get to a smaller city where prices are reasonable. Pattaya here we come......stay tuned for next segment coming soon :-)

Mark

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I simply love Bangkok since the first time I was there 20 years ago. I think I have been also each time at Wat Po early in the morning, just sitting alone somewhere in a corner for a few hours and let the world pass by, medidating a kind of....

thanks a lot for sharing :smile:

5. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Good stuff rhoody! Have you been to chiang mai? We REALLY liked it there....more on that when I put that report together soon. :-)

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Chiang Mai is also great. I went there a few times. In just outside Chaing Mai I ate the first time rat, and they are bigger and tastier then the local chicken here
    Had the worst bus-ride of my life from Chiang Mai to the north terminal in Bangkok. Drunk like 100 russians at 4:00 am my friend and I thought it is a brilliant idea to sit upstairs in the front row at the huge panorama window to enjoy the sights during the trip .... until the sun came up... we were spending hours literally behind a huge magnifying glass. Behind us 30 Thais laughing their a$$ off about that to melting 2 fat "farang".

7. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    The "magnifying glass" story is classic! Had a near similar experience in Vietnam 5-6 years ago....