Dumaguete Info Search

BANICA RIVER SPILLWAY COLLAPSE, 19 Oct 2017

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Edward K, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    The Banica River spillway "..connecting Barangay Bagacay and Colon Street Extension" collapsed yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's the lower spillway near Hypermart, not the one further up going to the Palinpinon Road.

Heavy rain triggers floods in Dumaguete

Traffic along the bypass from north to south will be screwed up for weeks, maybe months. Would be nice if there was a contractor like C.C. Myers in northern california a few years ago, contractor who bid low to replace a section of freeway overpass that was damaged by a tanker burning underneath it in 2007. Job was estimated by highway dept at 3 months, guy finished the job successfully in 3 weeks, collecting millions in "early completion incentives."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I heard from friends who live in that area that it is both of them. But perhaps I misheard. With the one that PhilSouth was supposed to build still impassable that makes 3 in a row that can't be crossed. Its more fun in Philippines.

3. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Bud Brown posted a video of it on YouTube:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That video is of the crossing by BIR, not Hypermart. Looking like both of them are completely washed out, along with significant sections of the levy. Has anyone looked at the actual bridges (National Highway and Perdices St)? How much erosion is happening there?

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Shhh. No sense in worrying about that until they have collapsed. It's the 3rd world way. The Afghans (and most other Muslim countries) have a single word for this: "inshaallah" (god willing). If you tell a Muslim you need something from them and that word is anywhere in their response you can pretty much forget about it happening.

Were you around when the last big Typhoon hit back in 2013 (I think)? Spillways were washed out, bridges damaged, houses and bodies washed out to sea, power out for weeks, water out for months. Nothing changes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128

7. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I used the one on Real street (national highway) this afternoon, no problems there, bridge intact and no visible damage to the concrete shoulders there as far as I could see from the car. I would assume the other two bridges are fine also. Just the two spillways are washed out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The one at apolong survived also but the big wall supporting tejero has been undermined badly,it did look like there were alot of bags of rubble stuffed in the wall though. Philsouth were up there yesterday trying to clear the debris with machines.

9. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Slight improvement to in’sh’allah....”mumkin (perhaps if) in’sh’allah (God willing) “....sorta doubles the chances of diddly squat happening. With in’sh’allah I have been surprised once or twice. If you hear mumkin there’s no way it will happen. Any other contributors have idioms/language quirks from their countries of origin to suggest it won’t happen?

I’ll start the ball rolling...”dreckly” (transl: directly, soon, might). Meaning: mañana but without all the rushing about.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

C

• Like Like x 2
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Are you Cornish?